*use Your Imagination*

Decorating By bchristianson17 Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 2:47am by jammjenks

bchristianson17 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 31

If you could make a cake for anyone (living or dead) . .

Who would it be for?

What kind of cake?

Fillings? Icings?

Decorations?

This is just for fun, to let your cake imagination wander for a lil bit. .

30 replies
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 31

I'd make one for Johnny Depp, but only if he came to pick it up himself! icon_wink.gif

No, really, I'd make one for John Lennon, any flavor, color, design, whatever he wanted. Only if I didn't have to met Yoko too, though. And if he brought George Harrison with him!

Or, as you can see from my avatar, I love Cheap Trick, so I'd make them a 5-necked guitar cake that looks like the one Rick uses.

RobzC8kz Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 31

Rob Zombie! I would make something totally macabre and twisted! With lots of skulls! I would make it red velvet with strawberry filling...you get where I'm going with this, right??

White Zombie was one of my favorite all time rock bands and now that Rob is making horror movies, even better!!

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 31

A big 'ole lots of chocolate cake for Paula Dean! If I could do cake-n-coffee with her one afternoon, I could die the next day 'coz nothing would top it.

DesignsByMandie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 31

Hmmm...What a good idea....I would do a cake for...My Grandmother....The one cake I have made wasn't something to talk about. And she is always critiquing what I do....I know she means no harm. But someday I would just love to BLOW her away!!!! I would make her favorite flavor. With lots of beautiful flowers covered in something she would like...She likes 7 min frosting but it isn't easy to decorate with!! Wow this isn't as easy as I thought it would be!!!! I just want to knock her socks off!!!!

tenleysmommy Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #6 of 31

I would make one for my Grandma,I miss her so much,I would make it huge and fancy.She used to decorate cakes and I would love her to see what I can do.I would make any flavor she wanted as long as I could sit there while she ate it.

TJCanadian Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 31

Great topic and its really hard to decide. The other end of the scale is easy....my greatest fear would be to make anything....anything for Kerry Vincent icon_biggrin.gif She scares me. I'm so afraid nothing would ever be precise enough, clean enough, structured well enough. icon_smile.gif

Hmm, I'd probably want to do a cake for a very dear lady I worked for for many years growing up. She ran a dairy by herself for a long time and nobody I know has ever worked harder than she did. She never did do anything for herself and her ungrateful kids didn't do anything for her either. When she finally did retire and move off of the farm, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer within 1 year and gone within 2. I would make her my white chocolate cake with semisweet chips, a milk chocolate ganache. In a 3D of one of her favorite dairy cows. She named them all, one of which was named after me icon_lol.gif

BCJean Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #8 of 31

I would do a cake for Robert Redford (I know, I am old).
It would be yellow cake made with real butter and eggs from free range chickens. It would be filled with fresh strawberries, next layer fresh peaches, next layer sliced bananas. Iced in buttercream, of course, using real cream in it, ...and it would be a sculpture of a wild mustang. icon_biggrin.gif

I am getting kind of excited about it.

indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:15am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I would do a cake for Robert Redford (I know, I am old).
It would be yellow cake made with real butter and eggs from free range chickens. It would be filled with fresh strawberries, next layer fresh peaches, next layer sliced bananas. Iced in buttercream, of course, using real cream in it, ...and it would be a sculpture of a wild mustang. icon_biggrin.gif

I am getting kind of excited about it.

I'm sure Miss Paula Dean and I would be HAPPY to join you and Bob for cake -n- coffee!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

moxey2000 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #10 of 31

This one really makes me think. I have several and I can't choose. The first would be my maternal grandmother, whom I never met. She died when my Mom was only 9. She came from hardy North Carolina stock, a farming family, and she'd probably like something earthy, like spice cake, and not too fancy.

Then there's my late MIL. She was a lovely woman and we all miss her. She'd like something vanilla with lots of pretty flowers in assorted colors. She was born and raised in the Bahamas, on an out-island, and she loved colorful things and lots of flowers. She was also a bush-medicine woman and knew what every plant was and what it was used for. People used to come from all over to get 'medicine' from her.

And last but not least I'd like to make a cake for a dear friend in the UK who I miss very much icon_wink.gif . Vanilla with strawberry filling and lemon buttercream. We'd sit and eat cake and drink coffee and catch up. Yes, that would be very nice. icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm sure Miss Paula Dean and I would be HAPPY to join you and Bob for cake -n- coffee!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a fun little get together to me. Bring your chocolate cake with you though....we don't want to run out of sweets.

I got behind here. Took some time out to watch the great debate...but CC won. There will be no cake for either of the candidates this time.

fidos_mom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:33am
post #12 of 31

When I was 8 yrs old my mother and father went on their regular bowling night and I was left with my grandfather. He was more interested in Archie Bunker than watching me so I snuck into the kitchen and baked my very first food - melt in your mouth biscuits. When my parents got home I was standing on the counter, stretching to reeeeach into the over to get the pan out. After my mom freaked for a good 10 minutes, she ate one and said it was the best she had ever had. My dad really enjoyed most of them though!!

Fast forward many years - my father passed away when my son was 3 mos. old. He never really got to know him. And I just know in my heart that the 2 of them would hit it off like soft sheets and shaved legs. Let's just say that what one couldn't think of the other would and they would both have covered for the other too!!

So... I would love to host a sit down with the 2 of them repleat with cake and tall glasses of cold milk. Treating them to a french vanilla cake with lemon filling for the 1st tier, 2nd tier chocolate with white chocolate ganache. Both covered in buttercream - my dad's fav. Made in the shape of a present. Because what a present that would be... to all of us.

Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 31

Okay, this got me to think! At first I tought about all these famous people, and lost loved ones.

I would want to make one more cake for my grandfather. When he was in the hosiptal I made one for everyone to snack on while sitting there all day. ICU is boring and you become really close to those other families. Anyway, he wanted some of it so bad, he kept asking if they were sure he couldn't have just a bit. Now looking back, I would give anything to let him have another piece.

Very interesting, good question!

kbw5780 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 31

Hmmmm......I think that I would make one for my daddy!! I miss him very much and he was an awesome cook, so I would want to make an awesome cake for him!!

Joybeth Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 31

I would love to make a cake for my mom's late bff who was like a 2nd mom to me. She died of cancer when I was 7. I would love to make a castle with her up at the top in the clouds and me, my mom, and her son looking up at her .

juleskaye518 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #16 of 31

mmmm, i'd like t make a cake WITH my sister. She is the one that got me on to this wonderful hobby. She has seen pics of what I can do, but I"d like to work with her to come up with a knock your socks off cake. Knowing us, it would be chocolate cake, the darker the better, with rasberry filling, covered in chocolate icing, and MMF. And we would have hot tea, not coffee. Hi Jenie!!

luelue1971 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 31

Jon Bon Jovi- with a picture of me- chocolate with my chocolate caramal hazelnut frosting. Oh and he would have to pick it up himself.

selahmycat Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 31

I would do one for my Mama. She decorated cakes for many years, but passed away before I started. I still have her cake book, and have used many of her designs. Sometimes when I am doing something new (FBCT, fondant, etc) that she had never heard of, and think how excited she would have been. I know she would have been one of my biggest cheerleaders!

Amia Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 31

I'd make a cake for my daddy. He died when I was 13 and never got to see me in the kitchen. He was an awesome baker...made the best cheesecake ever! Kind of funny because he looked like he'd be much more comfortable in a biker bar than in the kitchen. Anyway, I'd make him a Zippo lighter cake with a Guild acoustic on the front. He collected lighters (I inherited them and there's over 500!) and his Guild was his baby, after me, of course! It would have to be a chocolate cake with chocolate filling and chocolate buttercream, covered in fondant. He loved chocolate! Okay, now I'm all sad and nostalgic. icon_cry.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidos_mom

And I just know in my heart that the 2 of them would hit it off like soft sheets and shaved legs.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm totally stealing this saying!

I would make a cake for my mom. She died before I even discovered I loved to bake. I would make something simple and delicious - probably my super moist chocolate cupcakes with banana filling and caramel icing.

bevyd Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #21 of 31

I would make a Devil's Food cake with Peanut Butter frosting with a pot of coffee(cooked on the stove) for Paul Newman and Carlos Santana.Eating cake and drinking coffee and talking about any and everything.

pianocat Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:39pm
post #22 of 31

My choice would be my mother who died in January of this year. I did not take cake decorating until a little more than a year ago, and she was already so affected by the Alzheimers she did not understand anything. In her right mind even a simple flower would have amazed her. I too, miss her. She would have loved a Red Velvet cake.
Cathy

cakelady15 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:43pm
post #23 of 31

I would make a cake for my Uncle Vermie. Last year he said that all he wanted for his birthday was for his niece to make him one of her delicious cakes (that's me icon_biggrin.gif ). He passed away three days before his birthday last year and I never got to make it for him. I would make him a cowboy hat cake because he always wore a cowboy hat and boots no matter where he was going.

mellormom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:43pm
post #24 of 31

I would make a cake for my Grandma on my Mom's side. She past away before I got into baking. She would have loved my fondant cakes.
She was good at baking! She had an apple pie to die for. She tried to teach me before she passed away but I'm not a very good student. LOL I guess I'll stick to cakes. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 31

This is a neat thread. I would LOVE to make a plain devils food with vanilla almond bc. I'd share with my mom. She passed away when I was ten. I missed out on alot of mother/daughter things like hugs and kisses for no reason...just because. I would give almost anything to have a few hours with her to get to know HER, not my memories of her that were tainted by my stepmom.

bchristianson17 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #26 of 31

Thank you everyone for your responses! They were funny, sweet & heartbreaking.

Most were about making a cake creation for a loved one that has passed on. Maybe we should all slow down, think about our loved ones in our lives right now and preheat our ovens.

Show 'em you love 'em and feed 'em cake!

pianocat Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #27 of 31

Maybe a Thanksgiving thread of thanking the good Lord for someone special in our lives cake (with pics for us) and pay it forward. I think it's important to let people know they are special to us, and a 'just because' cake would be a great way to show it.
Cathy

TJCanadian Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #28 of 31

Pianocat, I'm with you. I'm going to make a little cake for someone I hardly know but I know works hard. Little things to just make them smile. Thats what keeps me going.

fidos_mom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidos_mom

And I just know in my heart that the 2 of them would hit it off like soft sheets and shaved legs.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm totally stealing this saying!

I tried to think of something soooo personal and comfy that you want to savor for a long time.

But do you have to take it? I mean someone with a LONGHORN fan in their avatar!?! lol just kidding!!

Signed,
Your Aggie sister down the road
Lisa

And I totally would LOVE to spend the afternoon with Carlos Santana too. How yummy would that be to have him strumming his guitar while snacking on cake? (sigh) I would be awestruck.

cous2010 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #30 of 31

My Granny taught me how to bake my first cookies, which would have been perfect if I hadn't mistaken her bucket of salt for sugar icon_smile.gif She passed away 2 years ago from cancer at the age of 56. I would give ANYTHING to bake a cake with my mom, for her.

It would be a deliciously moist yellow cake with lemon filling. Covered in buttercream, of course. I would make it simple; One tier, Ivory colored icing with purple flowers. She loved the color purple.

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%