Sculpted Cake Price Help

Decorating By adontee Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm by adontee

adontee Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 7

Greetings everyone.. I have a question. how much should you charge for a sculpted cake? I mean I made some cakes for the store that I work at for halloween. I have a $75.99 price tag on the scull that I call Henry and My frankenstein is priced at $95.99 is that too much? Some people that come into the store love the cakes and the art work but quickly say that price is too much. The scull would feed about 25 people and the frankenstein would feed about 40. Its an upperscale store so I didnt feel I was pricing then too high. I have my cakes posted on here in the halloween section. Thanks for your help.
LL

6 replies
boatorr Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 7

No I think that's right on the money. Trick is timing is everything. There are plenty of people who will pay that much for those cakes, but you have to catch them closer to Halloween when they are having parties. Suggestion might be to reach out to some of your local Halloween supply stores see if you can post an ad in return you give them some free cookies or what not. I'm new to the cake decorating world but and very educated in the business world. Supply and Demand. icon_smile.gif Hope that helps Awesome Awesome Awesome work by the way.

sisita Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 7

I know in some bakeries the price start ($4.00 per serving)... For 40 people is something as $160.00 or more....

TJCanadian Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #4 of 7

Depending on your area but from Bronwen's class, her sculpted cakes start at $8 a serving, depending on how detailed. And thats supposed to be for how many servings you start with, not worrying about what you carve off.

biancas_mommy Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #5 of 7

that cake's amazing, i literally just marked it to reference later before i looked at this post. it's worth way more than $100. i'd charge at least $150 and that's even probably on the low side. i agree, closer to halloween you'll get people having parties who want something super impressive, not just people who want a cake to serve, and those are the people you're aiming for!

calynmom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #6 of 7

Henry is worth every penny. Tell them to go and try and find something like that at their local supermarket.

If people want something special and unique then they should pay for it.

adontee Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for responding to my post. I do work very hard and love what I do so I put allot into my cakes and do everything free hand... all of you are right some people have no idea what goes into those cakes.
I appreciate the compliments that were gave to me on this cake... he has turned allot of heads in the store lol.
Thanks all! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%