How Do You Determine Carved Cake Serving Sizes?

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm by MacsMom

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #1 of 6

I've never done a carved cake and might be doing one for next weekend. now this will be an EASY carve using a square pan and just cutting out the superman emblem. but how do i determing servings? so if i use a 12x12 that serves 72 and cut it down to make the emblem, how would i know? they need 50 servings so i just want to make sure it's enough cake cause looking at the square pan and picturing it cut down, doesn't seem like enough to me! LOL

and to throw another question... how do you charge? i mean your still making a BIGGER cake then needed to get the desired effect. if i charged $3/serv normally would i just charge extra for the carve? or charge for the total number of servings the cake would have originally made? kwim??? lol

Clear as mud???? thanks! ruby

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:56am
post #2 of 6

I think you'll have just enough servings once you cut the emblem out. I mean you could up it to a 14x14 to be real comfy. You're basically cutting off the top corner of the square cake and narrowing the bottom angle a bit. You won't loose too much cake. I think you'd be fine with the 12x12.

You can do it either way on the pricing. Myself I think I'd go around $5 a serving give or take for you area. Because you have the 2-d sculpt but you have precise art work too.

Superman thoughts for you.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 6

You have to charge by the number of servings the cake would have served, if left intact, plus carving and decoration.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 6

Btw-- using the 12x12 you are gonna loose the equivalent of a 6" square cake which is 18 wedding cake servings. Because all you have to do to get the design is lop off the top corner of the square-viola-the superman emblem profile.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Btw-- using the 12x12 you are gonna loose the equivalent of a 6" square cake which is 18 wedding cake servings. Because all you have to do to get the design is lop off the top corner of the square-viola-the superman emblem profile.

But actually you could re-incorpoate some of that 6" cake back into the design and elongate that downward point of the emblem with extra cake. Instead of removing cake that would require you to cut away from the bottom point of the cake to create that not quite 90 degree angle --you can add some of the lopped off cake and bring that point down and angle it more.

All that to say the 12x12 will easily yield you over your servings. No worries.

* (actually it's a triangle that is 9x9x12.5--that you could morph into a 6" cake when you cut it in half and reposition the edges to form a square)

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

I do charge more for carved cakes--at least $.50 more and up to $1. extra depending on "the complexity of the design." icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%