How Do I Achieve A Nice Black Colour?

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 2:55am by leah_s

lilscakes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #1 of 3

I apologize up front for a question that has likely been asked a thousand times...I did a search before posting and had no luck finding the info I need. My niece has asked me to make her wedding cake. Very simple & fun stacked / funky black & white cake. I have tons of ideas, but the biggest difficulty I know I'll experience is achieving a dark black colour from scratch home made fondant ( I use Toba Garrett's recipe). I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you can offer. Thanks in advance to all! Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 3

Can't remember if I've made black fondant or noticon_sad.gif
I think you just start w/brown....maybe chocolate then add lots of paste color. Any paste or gel OR liquid gel color with the word super in it's name should be darker than the average bear. Definately make it at least the night before using. Itwill darken some overnight and once it is exposed to air. Fondant colors all seem to lighten one shade on drying.
If you get it to a nice charcole grey you will be fine.

Depending on how much you need...you could use Wilton's (are there other brands?) of canned spray color.

leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 3

Really, buy precolored black SatinIce. You can get it in 2 pound buckets from Global Sugar Art. Or 5 pound buckes. Or even 20 pound buckets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%