Crumbly Wasc???

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm by tomatoqeen

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hi! I am a fan of the WASC and have made it several times in different flavors. But I seem to be having trouble with crumbly edges when I remove it from the pan. The top is fine, but it is usually the bottom edges of the pan. I grease with shortening and flour with either the cake mix or the mixed dry ingredients. I use baking strips and bake at 325F. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks for your help!! icon_confused.gif

11 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 12

I'm using a Baking Spray these days for WASC cakes. I have pan release (Wilton and homemade) and I found the spray worked much better. I'm baking at 325F now, using baking strips and they pop right out. Sorry I can't be much help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 12

My thought would be to check your oven. It might not be running at the right temp. I never had that problem and I always grease & flour the sides & bottom. Most of the time I used a homemade pan grease (equal parts oil, shortening & flour).

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 12

Try lining your pan with wax/parchment paper, than also grease and flour that. I've not had this happen to WASC either. icon_confused.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:31am
post #5 of 12

Are you letting the cake cool for a while in the pan before removing it? If it's still too hot, it might fall apart.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:57am
post #6 of 12

I wouldn't use either cake mix or the mixed dry ingredients to dust your cake pans.

Only dust with flour, or as recommended use homemade pan grease or Pam.

HTH

tomatoqeen Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all your tips!! I will go back to grease and flour (no cake mix). I usually let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before removing the pan, which I thought was sufficient, but it does steam when it comes out of the pan. I have never made homemade pan grease???? No clue! I really have never tried the parchment, so I may give that a whirl!!

LorrieG: what kind of baking spray do you use? Like the Pam with Flour?

kakeladi: My oven usually runs on the warm side and I always have to adjust the time down. For your pan grease, do you use like a 1/4 c. of veg. oil, shortening, and flour and just mix it all together?

Thanks so much!!

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #8 of 12

tomatoqueen I use White Cap Baking Release. I get it at a local cake shop in Ottawa. You could do a web search for it. It doesn't change the colour of anything, doesn't smell and does a great job for me.
LL

tomatoqeen Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 12

Lorrieg -- Thanks so much for the pic and your response!! I will definitely try it! For some reason, I hate greasing and flouring!!

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 12

Good luck with it. I haven't had problems since I began using it. I haven't tried it with anything other than my cakes because I have quite a drive to buy it. It's a huge can and lasts a really long time. I'm sure you can buy it online. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #11 of 12

.......do you use like a 1/4 c. of veg. oil, shortening, and flour and just mix it all together? .......

Yep icon_smile.gif JUst whip it up....let it whip on high until it very light & fluffy. I usually kept mine in glass. Over time it will seperate, especially on the bottom. JUst stir it well. I prefered to keepmine in the frig. Nothing in it will spoil but I felt it kept longer and I didn't use as much each time if it was cold. If you live in a very humid area also add an equal amount of cornstarch.

tomatoqeen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%