Selling Deserts To Restaurants

Decorating By toleshed Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 3:21am by Robertbakewell

toleshed Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to start doing this with my local restaurants. Does anyone have any idea how I would begin? I have been inspected by my county health dept. So thats ok.

4 replies
PinkZiab Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 5

It's going to be a hard sell, as you'll have to be able to provide things fairly cheap. Any restaurant that doesn't already have its own pastry department usually gets their prepared desserts from a supplier who deals in volume and can therefore offer the products at a very low price. You might have luck with smaller coffee bars/cafes

dmhart Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

You might want to check with the county health dept inspector that you have dealt with. You may have to provide a break down of ingredients and nutrient for your products. I know each state and local agent is different but there are some that require that infomation on products for wholesale.

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

Hey, Toleshed!

I was originally from upstate New York! Whereabouts?!

We currently use a bistro's kitchen in downtown Orlando for our business. We actually sell cheesecakes to him so he can in turn sell them to his customers. We've actually gotten sales from the customers, as well. He is supportive of that!

The niche you want to go after is the small "homey" type business that wants to sell quality products. In fact, his reason for buying from us is because he only has time to sell "home-grown" beer (from a local brewery) and the sandwiches and meals he creates himself. He doesn't have time to do desserts, as well.

We charge $36-40 per 9" cheesecake and he then cuts them into 12s and charges $4.95.

Hope this helps!

Paul (& Peter)

Robertbakewell Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 5

we own two in ny and one over the border in the "berkshires" Massachusetts.
we have picked up wholesale on both sides...we tried to pick up more by handing out 11" keylime tarts...they are very impressive and great for restaurant service. the wholesale for about 20 dollars and they can get 12 generous servings from it. We didnt get one order. We got one thanks it was wonderful, we will get back to you but no orders. one year later we opened a our second bakery and we started getting inquiries about wholesale. so...i dont know. we tried to drum up more business by handing out desserts....but I guess out of site of of they see our bakery and inquire...( we have developed a good rep quickly_)its not easy to get your foot in the door. maybe we should have gone back around and been a bit more agressive about talking to the owner or manager. anyway, good luck !

Quote by @%username% on %date%