Is Cake Dr Pumpkin Spice Cake Firm Enough To Stack 2 Bundts?

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm by Candes

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 9

I'd like to make a pumpkin by stacking two bundts, and I'd like to make it pumpkin flavored too. Has anyone made that recipe to know whether it's too moist or if it's ok?

Ingredients:
spice cake mix
vanilla pudding
1 c pumpkin
1/2 c oil
1/2 c water
3 eggs
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger

8 replies
galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 9

I think I read that some people use the bundt pan instead of the 3-D pumpkin pan but I'm still in the newbie stages. 2sdae has a recipe she uses I think she uses pumpkin jello pudding try and pm her. I'm sure someone from her will help ya out. I like Penzey's cake spice too( all their spices are fabulous!).

Kelley

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 9

I made that cake and ended up with a moist brick. I'm not sure what I did wrong. It looked perfect and smelled WONDERFUL. I could hardly lift it. icon_evil.gif

brendaonline Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

I've had that happen to a couple of the cakes I tried from the book, which is why I asked first this time! Moist is good, but wet bricks -- not so much.

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

maybe someone can tell us what we did wrong. icon_confused.gif

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

I have made this cake a couple of times, it is YUMMY!! It is dense, I would say yes, 2 bundts can be stacked, but not so dense that it should be like a brick!! Sorry that happened to you. I usually make scratch cakes but that pumpkin spice is my go to this time of year.

brendaonline Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 9

**bump**

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 9

You could make a WASC cake, omit the almond, add pumpkin pie spice to a golden cake. Then you know it would be okay to stack. I did some cupcakes this way and they were yummy!

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

I'm in the same boat. I tried this last year for my sister's birthday cake and the DH chocolate mix was too moist. It kept tearing as I tried to apply a crumb coat.

I'm attempting it again and may be trying a different recipe (rather than a mix) and freezing it before icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%