Is Cake Dr Pumpkin Spice Cake Firm Enough To Stack 2 Bundts?

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm by Candes

brendaonline Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 9

I'd like to make a pumpkin by stacking two bundts, and I'd like to make it pumpkin flavored too. Has anyone made that recipe to know whether it's too moist or if it's ok?

spice cake mix
vanilla pudding
1 c pumpkin
1/2 c oil
1/2 c water
3 eggs
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger

8 replies
galliesway Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 9

I think I read that some people use the bundt pan instead of the 3-D pumpkin pan but I'm still in the newbie stages. 2sdae has a recipe she uses I think she uses pumpkin jello pudding try and pm her. I'm sure someone from her will help ya out. I like Penzey's cake spice too( all their spices are fabulous!).

lorrieg Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 9

I made that cake and ended up with a moist brick. I'm not sure what I did wrong. It looked perfect and smelled WONDERFUL. I could hardly lift it. icon_evil.gif

brendaonline Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

I've had that happen to a couple of the cakes I tried from the book, which is why I asked first this time! Moist is good, but wet bricks -- not so much.

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

maybe someone can tell us what we did wrong. icon_confused.gif

SouthernSugar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

I have made this cake a couple of times, it is YUMMY!! It is dense, I would say yes, 2 bundts can be stacked, but not so dense that it should be like a brick!! Sorry that happened to you. I usually make scratch cakes but that pumpkin spice is my go to this time of year.

brendaonline Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 9

lorrieg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 9

You could make a WASC cake, omit the almond, add pumpkin pie spice to a golden cake. Then you know it would be okay to stack. I did some cupcakes this way and they were yummy!

Candes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

I'm in the same boat. I tried this last year for my sister's birthday cake and the DH chocolate mix was too moist. It kept tearing as I tried to apply a crumb coat.

I'm attempting it again and may be trying a different recipe (rather than a mix) and freezing it before icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%