Looking For A Tried And True Recipe For Brunswick Stew

Lounge By butternut Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm by MosMom

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 20

Anyone by chance have one that they wouldn't mind sharing??? I made some about a week ago but wasn't real happy with the recipe so I was wondering if anyone out there has one that they really like. Thanks so much!!!! Trying to get my cool weather recipes together......

19 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 20

I have one, but I'll have to figure out which Southern Living cookbook it's in.

Michelle

butternut Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks so much Michelle. I figured their would be a good recipe in a Southern Living cookbook. I've just got to get some of those. I do have the Christmas book but that's it. Thanks again......

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 20

I have one also that is really easy but I'll have to wait until I get home to get it. It is a true southern Georgia recipe from when I lived there in the mid-90's. If you had BBQ, and we did often, Brunswick Stew was always a side item and this recipe is pretty tastey.

butternut Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 20

Great! Thanks so much tracycakes

michellenj Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 20

I found it. The recipe that I use tells you to roast a 4 1/2 # pork roast and boil a 4 1/2# hen, but I usually cook the pork in my crock pot one day, pull it, and use a storebought rotisserie chicken instead of boiling the hen. Sometimes I will add butter beans to it, but my husband isn't crazy about them. This is from Southern Living's Ultimate cookbook.

1 (4 1/2#) pork roast
1 (4 1/2) hen
3 (16 oz) cans whole tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3 large onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
3/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 c water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 TBSP hot sauce
1 (16 oz.) pkg frozen shoepeg corn

Place pork roast, fat side up, on a rack of a roasting pan. Bake at 325 for 2 hours. Cool. Trim and discard fat. Cut pork into 2 inch pieces.

Meanwhile, place hen in a Dutch oven. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until tender. Remove han from broth and cool. Bone hen, and cut into 2 inch pieces.

Coarsely grind meat in food processor. Combine ground meat, tomatoes, and next 5 ingredients in a large Dutch oven.

Combine flour and water, stirring until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Stir in corn, and cook 10 more minutes.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 20

This is a very easy version but it is really good.

2 cans chicken
2 cans pork BBQ (Castleberry)
2 cans corn (niblet and cream)
1 can tomatoes
1 small bottle catsup (hot can be used)
1 small can butter beans
1 can english peas
1 can chicken broth
1 cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons worchester sauce

Mix and cook about 2 to 3 hours slow.

I put it in a crock pot. I usually like to cook more from scratch but this is really good.

I hope you find a recipe that you like. icon_biggrin.gif

butternut Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 20

Wow, thanks so much Michelle and tracycakes. They both sound wonderful. Michelle your recipe sounds great when I have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen and tracycakes your's sounds great when time is a factor. Just put it all in the crock pot and let it go. I really do appreciate that both of you took the time to share these recipes. I really am going to try each one of them. I'm not sure which one to try first but I'm gonna do both. Thanks soooooo much!!!

michellenj Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 20

Hey Butternut-are you from the south? I'm GA girl myself.

I was going to tell you something that I've done in the past. I love roast pork and pulled pork, and if I have leftovers I will freeze it, and when I have a few pounds I'll thaw it and make the stew with that and a rotisserie chicken. If you want butter beans in it, add a can of petite butter beans, and mash another can of butter beans and that will thicken the liquid.

I live in PA now and occasionally I'll have a party with all my Southern foods, and my neighbors love it!

I'm looking for a good recipe for southern cornbread dressing, if you happen to have one that you know is good.

butternut Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 20

Great suggestions Michelle. Thanks so much. I'm in Va. Wish I had a great southern cornbread dressing to share with you but I don't. I'm not one for cornbread dressing but tell ya what, I do love me some grits and fried chicken icon_lol.gif

Burningbeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burningbeard Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:43am
post #11 of 20

I thought traditional brunswick stew had squirrel and other wild game meat in it

michellenj Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 20

Maybe back in the old days they did. My grandmother told me that when she was little, they would put the leftover parts of a hog they butchered in the stew, like the head and feet. YUM-O.

butternut Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 20

Hog head and feet, Ewwwww. I did run across several recipes that called for squirrel meat. I think the recipe must have started out calling for that. I think I'll pass on that one icon_rolleyes.gif Poor wittle squirrels.. All they do is run around chasing each other, flipping around in the air and entertaining us. Of course, I planted a pecan tree about 24 years ago. It's huge now and each year full of pecans. Unfortunately, we've never been able to eat one friggin pecan. The squirrels get up in there and get every single one before they are ripe and fall to the ground. Yeah, ok, squirrel beef stew actually doesn't sound that bad anymore icon_lol.gif

Burningbeard Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 20

squirrle is actually kind of tasty, raccoon, and oppossum not so much. Rabbit would be another alternative

michellenj Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 20

Down in GA where I grew up there were armadillos everywhere. Maybe you could throw one of those in there, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Burningbeard Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #16 of 20

never tried armadillo, are they any good? Gator is good, belive it or not its alot like lobster icon_biggrin.gif

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #17 of 20

I have never had this before but it sounds fantastic. The chill is blowing in again and stew sounds perfect right about now.

michellenj Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 20

I don't know if people actually eat armadillo, and I wouldn't want to know what it tastes like.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:41pm
post #19 of 20

from a very old cookbook, titled "soul food"

2 T bacon grease
1 frying chicken (about 2 1/2 lbs)
onions
3 c h20
5 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 c sherry optional
2 T butter
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 lb fresh lima beans
salt and pepper
1/2 c okra
3 ears green corn

brown onion in bacon grease; then add the chicken which has been cut in small pieces and seasoned. when chicken is done, pour off the grease and put chicken and onions in a dutch oven. add the water, tomatoes, the sherry wine if chosen to add, and worcestershire sauce. cook slowly over low flamer for 1/2 hour, then add the lima beans, okra and corn cut from the cob. let simmer one hour. then ad the butter and bread crumbs and cook 1/2 hour longer.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #20 of 20

I just tried the "quick" version of this tonight and it was fantastic. I couldn't find the Castleberry's pork bbq so I got the Kroger tub of it. The family loves it. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%