How To Get This Effect

Decorating By tnt320to Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm by sweetneice

tnt320to Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt320to Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 18

The attached cake (from theknot.com) has a neat design on the 2nd and 4th tiers. I am making a cake like this in a couple weeks but I can't figure out how to do this. Anyone got a idea? Thanks!!!!
LL

17 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 18

I haven't seen this one before - It's very cool. It almost looks to me like there are 2 layers of fondant on those tiers. It looks like they rolled the 2nd layer with an impression roller and placed it over the already covered layer. Hope that makes sense...

Maybe someone else will have an idea - it's hard to tell but that's the way I would do it. The only question now is where to get the impression roller! Good Luck - please post your finished cake so we can see how you did it!

Tammi

tnt320to Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 18

Hi Tammi,

I think that's it too. I can't seem to find a roller or impression mat that looks like that. I did just see one that was small diamonds. That might work. Just wondering if anyone has come across a roller or mat that would yeild this effect?

Thanks!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 18

I agree with the previous poster... I think it looks like the cakes have been covered with the green sugarpaste and then a band with the patternon it has been wrapped around.

Could it be the first one here? The Honeycomb Impression Mat?

http://www.sugar-artistry.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?product=Texture_Mat&cart_id=1221207200.8603

Suzanne x

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 18

I bet the small diamond one would work and then maybe you could add a fondant "button" to each diamond - although it seems like a lot of work! I haven't come across an impression roller or mat that is similar to that one either. Hopefully someone else will be able to make a suggestion though!

Tammi

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 18

Not that I have the answer but I saved the pic, enlarged it then compared it to this:
http://www.earlenescakes.com/store/images/impression_tools/IT_EMDM_Exmp.jpg

Maybe the 1" one?

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

I bet the small diamond one would work and then maybe you could add a fondant "button" to each diamond - although it seems like a lot of work! I haven't come across an impression roller or mat that is similar to that one either. Hopefully someone else will be able to make a suggestion though!

Tammi

. . . I'm sure you are on to something here . . . that would work . . . but very time consuming . . .

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 18

Looks to me like the honeycomb impression mat is it! I, too, think they covered the cake in fondant, then put the pattern on another strip of fondant and wrapped the patterned fondant around the cake. Good luck with everything!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 18

Good find Suzanne! I definitely think that is it - The fondant example looks just like the cake picture!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #10 of 18

I know, I know. But since she doesn't live in the UK & shipping may take a while.... s u g a r c r a f t does have the honeycomb impression mat in a set of 4. And I too think that it's a layer of fondant on a layer, but it looks like there's a fondant ball in the center of the diamonds, giving a 3d effect.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:51am
post #11 of 18

Maybe it's because I'm tired - but it looks like bubble wrap around those tiers. LOL!

Ok, I'll go to bed now.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:06am
post #12 of 18

. . . actually . . . I have seen bubble wrap used for something on this site . . . I think it was used to make a honey comb . . . so not too far fetched at all . . . icon_biggrin.gif

. . . yup . . . here it is . . . http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=59198

. . . so you might be able to make a mold using bubble wrap and then use it to make the bubble effect working the "right" way . . .

tnt320to Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks for your help everyone!!! I think the honeycomb with a dot on top will work the best. I think I'm going to order it. Has anyone ordered from sugarartistry.com before? Do you think I will get it by 10/24?

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 18

FYI This cake is also in the Martha Stewart Wedding Cake book in a different color--page 16. Looks like they used a honeycomb mat, then took a star tool and made an impression, then added a dot. I made this cake this summer, and used a basketweave roller, and it looked awesome.

tnt320to Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #15 of 18

Well, here's how it came out. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but nothing ever is! I bought a couple different things, but ended up using a swag marker and metal dough cutter/spreader to mark a diamond pattern. This cake just about did me in on fondant. It was soooo much fondant! It took me 5 hours on Saturday after I'd already covered the two bottom tiers (which were styrofoam) Friday night. I barely made it to the reception site on time.

Thanks for all your help and thanks for looking!
LL
LL

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 18

It turned out really nice! Good job!

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 18

Great job! That turned out awesome!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm