Decorating By bakingagain Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 1:19am by robinscakes

bakingagain Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 7

I have a 50% off coupon for Michael's. I am thinking of getting an airbrush. Has anyone purchased one from Michael's that works and would be easy for a beginner to figure out?

6 replies
alanahodgson Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 7

I just bought one there b/c my expensive one broke. Most of what they sell that's inexpensive attaches to a can of compressed air. I bought a badger that was $60 regular price. I do like the brush for being a single action external mix (my expensive brush was a dual action internal mix) but the canned air was a pain. It looses pressure and it doesn't go very far. I have to purchase a special adapter to use my compressor with this brush. I'm sure I will eventually. First I'm sending my expensive brush back to the manufacturer for a hopeful replacement.

KKC Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 7

I never knew Michael's sold much do they cost? i bought one from Airbrush City for $80.00.

alanahodgson Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

I saw them for as cheap as $30-VERY basic...almost laughably circa 1970- and up to I think $200. You're probably still better off buying something online. I know I got a MUCH better airbrush for $100 online than I could have gotten for the same amount with my 40% off coupon at Michaels. has fantastic prices. I got a brush there that retailed for double what I paid.

robinscakes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #5 of 7

Here's a question (sorry to sort of hijack your thread) all of the brushes you can buy online work with every hose/compressor? I have a really old airbrush that came with the bakery that was purchased 3 years ago with all of its contents and equipment. The compressor works fine, but the brush is pretty much dead. I just need a new brush. How do I know if it will fit my brush (can't even find any information on it any more, it's so old).

alanahodgson Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 7

No, not every compressor/hose works with every brush. Usually adapters can be purchased either from the manufacturer, or you can get an adapter at the hardware store. If you're going to buy a new brush, I'd recommend getting a hose to go with it. finding an adapter for the hose to the compressor shouldn't be that hard. when I purchased my airbrush online, in my research I learned that if you're compressor does not store air in a tank, you need at least a 10 ft hose to avoid....what was it, basically air coming out unevenly. The hose that came with my brush (Aztek 470) is coiled, so its 10 ft long but it doesn't seem 10 ft long because of the coil. Does that make sense?

robinscakes Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 7

Yes, that makes sense. I'll look online for a hose and a brush. Which brands are most popular? Best for cakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%