How Do I Make Gumpaste Tulips?

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 1:58pm by FromScratch

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:57am
post #1 of 8

I have a lady ordering a cake and 90 cupcakes for a christening and she wants a tulip sitting on each of the cupcakes! At first I thought she just wanted a tulip from a cutter that would lie flat, but nope, she wants an actual flower.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Amy

7 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 8

Wilton's gumpaste kit comes with tulip instructions. I highly recommend getting it b/c it's really cheap and comes with a variety of flowers and a very good instruction book.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I've made tulips from the Wilton book. They are nice and were easy.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

Make sure you charge he for that. It's not easy making tiny flowers.. especially out of fondant. I assume they will be made from fondant so that they will be able to easily eat them on the cupcakes. Gumpaste dries so hard in comparison to fondant.

I charge an extra $1-2.00 for fondant flowers on cupcakes.

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:47am
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys,

I have the rose flower kit from Wilton's from the 3rd Wilton class, but I left my third class book at home in the states and you can't buy them here. I don't remember Tulips being in that book. Is this the same "flower kit"? I also have the stuff from the 4th Wilton class but didn't get to take it when I was home, but don't see anything about tulips in there either.

We are so limited as to what we can get here unless I order it from England or US way ahead of time. By the time it comes I don't know if I can finish 90 Tulips and my other orders until Nov. 1st.

The lady asked me ahead of time would they be 3-d on top on the cupcake and I told her no that it would be a cutout with stem and leaf, she sounded ify but said OK. Then when I told her that would be an extra cost, she looked suprised. Yesterday, she says "no, I really wanted an actual flower made of icing can you do that?"

I guess we will see!

Amy

FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 8

Perhaps yu could get away with making them from royal?

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! I think i figured one out. I took the cutter from a purse cookie cutter that you use to cut out where the handle is and trimmed off the bottom to a semi point and put them together resting in a clean egg carton! SOOO happy!

Thanks,
Amy

FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 8

Way to think outside of the box! icon_smile.gif

Now make sure you don't do it for free. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%