Cake Sizes

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 7:39am by Cakechick123

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:03am
post #1 of 8

In South Africa we normally dont serve the wedding cake as the dessert, its normally served with one or two other dessert options or with coffee afterwards. I normally tell my brides to only cater for 60% of their guests when booking the cake to prevent loads of leftovers. I have never had a bride run out of cake.

Now someone wants to serve the cake as the only dessert, should I increase my portion size? Im thinking of doing a 5,8,11,14 round. On Earlenes charts that will give 121 servings and she is having 120 guests. Do you think this is cutting it a bit close?

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

I think it's cutting it close! I would plan for it to be at least 130. Hopefully some others will get on here and help ya out! =o) Goodluck with your decision!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

Well as a dessert, you definitely want to count on a piece for every RSVP'd guest. I get about 126 servings from the size you stated, so I think you're good to go!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 8

I would go a little higher too unless you are cutting the cake. If the cake cutter messes up, you might be short a few servings and it's always better to have a few extra leftovers.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

Maybe you could have a "hidden" sheet cake and serve off that if you need to, then you would know you have back up and not have to alter you design.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #6 of 8

Yeah..the sheetcake is a good idea!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:00am
post #7 of 8

It's great to see I'm a "newbie" and getting the hang of ideas. icon_biggrin.gif Let us know what you do and dont forget to add a pic! I cant upload anything icon_cry.gif Im working on figuring out why.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:39am
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone!! She has decided to make the bottom layer a fruit cake. Its cut into smallre portions as it so rich, so now I will have more than enough servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%