What's Your Fav Rolling Pin Type?

Decorating By shalderman Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm by Katie-Bug

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #1 of 4

I'm in the market for a new one. The wooden one that I've had for over 11 yrs is dying...the bearings dried up and crumbled which doesn't make for smooth rolling or nice fondant/pie crust/etc when you have bits of bearings falling on it icon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

So now I don't know what kind to get! Wondering if anyone has a preference?
Wooden?
Silicone?
Non Stick Coated?
Granite/Marble or whatever those are made of? LOL
other kind?

I was leaning towards silicone but I haven't seen much of that kind out in stores I've checked (so far). I see lots of the the non stick but I'm just worried about what happens if I scrape it accidentally some time. Is it going to start getting weird and flake off?

Steph

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

I use two, a lighter weight standard wooden pin and a heavy silicone pin. It is non stick and the weight help with the rolling.

I didn't opt for the huge wooden one, because you still have to lift it and it is a bit hard on my shoulder.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 4

So the silicone works pretty well? Overall my wooden one has been ok but of course stuff sticks to it from time to time. I thought the silicone might do better with that. I mainly roll out fondant, pie dough and biscuits. Occasionally some bread dough... But really the last couple years its mostly fondant icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 4

I have two of the little Wilton white non-stick ones, they are GREAT for small projects!! I just recently switched to a silicone rolling pin for fondant work, it is so worth it!!! thumbs_up.gif

I took a fondant class a while back an she showed everyone her rolling pin and explianed why she liked it. It was a really heavy duty, ball bearing pin. The heavier the better, it works for you!!! thumbs_up.gif It made rolling out huge things of fondant so much easier.

Here is a link to the one I bought, I have been very pleased!
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Blue-12-Traditional-Sil-Pin-Silicone-Rolling-Pin_W0QQitemZ250303981629QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250303981629&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%