Need Suggestions, Please

Baking By kathys90 Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 12:40am by kathys90

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 10

I volunteered to help out my neighbor by offering to help her Brownie Troop decorate cupcakes for a baking badge.

Lucky for me, I can do a halloween theme.

I want the girls to be able to use a pastry bag to write with, but I don't want to use my tips.

Do you think it would be better to buy the parchment paper bags and cut a small hole, or buy a bunch of the prefilled decorator tubes you can get at the grocery store?

Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated! I've never offered to do this before and I want the girls to have fun and learn something.

Thanks in advance!
Kathy

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 10

Parchment cones will probably work fine. To support the opening, wrap the tip with a piece of tape BEFORE you cut it. That way the opening doesn't tear or enlarge easily.

kathys90 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Parchment cones will probably work fine. To support the opening, wrap the tip with a piece of tape BEFORE you cut it. That way the opening doesn't tear or enlarge easily.

Thanks JoAnn, I appreciate the suggestion!
Kathy

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 10

Using a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby, you could purchase the box of plastic decorator bags by Wilton. I think the box is usually around 15.00 for 100 bags. They feed out of the box just the same as Kleenex. Then, snip off the bottom and away you go! NO folding or taping!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 10

You could also use disposable decorating bags.

Win Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 10

Using a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby, you could purchase the box of plastic decorator bags by Wilton. I think the box is usually around 15.00 for 100 bags. They feed out of the box just the same as Kleenex. Then, snip off the bottom and away you go! NO folding or taping!

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with Win. Just buy the plastic disposable bags and snip a small hole and GO FOR IT!

I wish my troop would have done something neat like that icon_smile.gif

kathys90 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the ideas ladies! I can't wait for this to happen! I love the idea that I'm teaching them something I enjoy so much!

You were all so sweet to offer advice! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:06am
post #9 of 10

Sorry for the double post a bit back... didn't think I hit "submit" twice. --Had an additional thought. I have used the plastic bags as more than just a plain tip before. I snip a "v" cut into it and, viola!, you have a leaf tip or a just a nice 3-D line for the kids. Two snips and you have a star tip.

kathys90 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #10 of 10

I just wanted to let you all know how much fun I had teaching the Brownie Troop how to decorate cupcakes!!!!

They were just adorable, and they loved the chance to learn how to use a pastry bag!

It was a ton of preparation, but it was worth it!

Thanks again for all your help!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%