Payment For The Cake

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 4:38am by GI

butterfly831915 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 51

icon_cry.gif My "suposed" friend had contacted me about two weeks ago that she needed a wedding cake and that it would be for this past Saturday. The only problem was she didn't have a style yet. We came here to cc and looked a pictures, keep in mind I had never done a wedding cake and charged for it, she picked one cake then over the next 6 days kept changing her mind so I finally told her a price of $60 which was about 60% off of what I would normally charge, this was done as a wedding present for them and that I knew they were having money issues, well, of course she acted as if it was to much for my experience on caking. Well, considering it was enought for about 75 people according to the standard sizing. Not even a buck a slice, wow, how rude was that. Anyway, I knew she wasn't due to get paid until the day of the wedding and made her sign a contract for gtd payment. The was done and she loved it when she picked it up. Well, I got busy at work and forgot to collect the money from her. Considering she was my friend and I knew she was really busy and nervous I called her and left a message to remind her to just drop it off to me when they came back to check into their hotel room. Well they checked in after I left and didn't offer to pay then and I emailed her later and said congrats and checked on payment and got a response back from her that she wasn't paying as she felt the cake was not satisfactory. There were to many imperfections and she felt it was to dry. 1st off I never said I was perfect at it, stated I was just getting it going. 2nd off I had to carve the cake and what was carved off was not dry or crumbly. 3rd she signed a contract. I stated what the full price of the cake was with the discount as well. She signed without a problem. I understand that maybe she just spent more money than exprected and considering we were friends she could have came back and let me know and asked if payment could be done later. I let her know that I would need payment. The cake was what she had asked for and I had even done a demo cake for her before hand so she could see what I was doing. She loved it too. I think she just wants to keep from having to pay and doesn't know that I do take the contract seriously. I only wish I could go back and have not been at work when she picked it up and then I wouldn't have given it to her before I got payment. What do you think, should I let it go and assume it was to dry and crumbly and it wasn't what so wanted? I don't want to lose a friend over this but can't say she really is if she wasn't willing to come to me directly about it all. I believe the cake given was what she wanted and more. Help please!!! icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif Finding it hard to keep my mouth shut....

50 replies
Deb_ Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 51

Wow, if this woman is a friend...........

$60, barely covers the ingredients. She signed a contract, now she has broken that contract by not paying you. I would send her a copy of that contract and give her one more chance to make restitution. If she doesn't tell her you'll take further action.

This woman obviously lacks integrity. You need to reexamine your relationship with her and decide if "her friendship" is one that you want to continue. If it is, you may have to consider the cake a gift, however, it will always be a needle in your side.

Sorry this happened, sometimes it takes an incident like this to know who our real friends are unfortunately. Next time get the money upfront before any ingredients are even purchased or any cake is baked, just to cover yourself. No money, no cake should be your motto!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 51

It's interesting that you are concerned about losing her as a friend when she clearly does not extend that sentiment to you by stiffing you. She sold your friendship for a $60 cake.

She is not your friend. She is not worthy of your friendship.

You need to be assertive and professional and get your money.

Call her Mom, call her workplace, call her husband, leave messages. Don't tell them you are collecting a debt. Just call and wait and be smart and don't give up. Call her too. Call them all once a week, be respectful, keep it between 9 AM and 9 PM, Monday through Friday. Leave messages with everyone but her. Tell her you want your money.

People like this reek. She might give you a check and 'forget' to fill part of it out--do not fill it out. Take it to her bank and they will call her on it. If you mark on her check she can get it tossed.

She sucks and she's a thief. Don't let her get away with it.

tcbalgord Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 51

First, let me say that I am sorry this happened to you.
I had a friend try the same with me. I kept asking for about a month, and finally she said well i thought we were friends and I would never keep asking my friend if i were you. In the end i got paid, but only after I opened her eyes....."Friends are a wonderful thing but business is business." I hate the "friendship card" it is unfair of her to make you choose doing what's best for your business, or salvaging a friendship.
I hope that you can save your friendship and more importantly that you get paid.

weirkd Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 51

I agree with the last comment. You really dont know who your friends are until something like this. Sounds like she is trying to guilt you into giving it to her. She probably thought that even though she signed the contract that you were just going to say Oh, dont worry about the payment, its a gift! And when she found out you werent going to do that, she had to come up with a reason.
Tell her that is it was unsatisfactory then you want the uneaten portion so that you can examine it. When she tells you that there isnt any left then tell her since it was consumed then it was what she paid for. Tell her that a contract is a contract and legal binding. If she cant prove to you that there was something wrong then in a courts eyes she owes you the money.
You probably will not get a dime from her unless you take her to small claims court over it. But as a really hard lesson, payment in FULL before the cake is delivered, try to get atleast two weeks in advance or no cake! Finally, state in your contract that the initial downpayment is non-refundable. (Cakeboss's site has one you can download that is really well written). Then stick to it. This is business, not friendship. And if she cant pay you for your services that you rendured then you need to drop her like a hot potato as a "friend". Friends dont do that to people. Im so sorry that this has happened to you but unfortunately there are more bad ones out there then good ones and you really need to C.Y.A. when it comes to things otherwise people will walk all over you.
And take it from me, I was a door mat for years until I finally had enough and didnt let it happen again. And it was really hard for me to do, I was always the type of person that wanted people to like me. But I soon found out that they will quickly take advantage.

BabyBear3 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 51

I agree with the above. I am so sorry that she is doing/did this to you. She signed a contract and she needs to abide by it. You need to let her know that she owes you that money and do not let this go. I would not consider her a friend after all of this -- doesn't sound like a friend I would want to have.

amberhoney Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 51

[quote="k8memphis"]She sold your friendship for a $60 cake.

I was just thinking the same thing and wording it in my head when I saw your post. Took the words right outta my mouth. This woman is prepared to lose you as a friend for $60.00. You are better off without her IMO.

I remember reading a passage once that was about treating your friendships like you would your garden, you nurture the ones you love, and sometimes its gotta be weeded. Consider her a big weed.

cous2010 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #8 of 51

A contract is a contract. I say get your money and drop the "friend." A true friend would have paid you, smiled and moved on, even if the cake was not exactly what she had wanted.

moxey2000 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

This woman is prepared to lose you as a friend for $60.00. You are better off without her IMO.

I remember reading a passage once that was about treating your friendships like you would your garden, you nurture the ones you love, and sometimes its gotta be weeded. Consider her a big weed.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too often people hold onto friendships that are not mutually beneficial and nurturing. This is one of those. My opinion...take the high road. Write off the $60 as a mistake you will NEVER make again, along with the friendship. Lessons learned the hard way are hard lessons learned well. Move on.

michellenj Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #10 of 51

I'd just let it go, and never speak to her again. You know where you stand with her now, and she is a horrible person.

bevyd Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 51

Sorry it went down like that but----she never was your friend.Chalk it up to things that can go wrong and move on.Good Luck and feel better.

Iloveweddings Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #12 of 51

I feel for you and am sorry this happened. I am only saying what I would do, not what I think you should do. That only you can decide. I would write off the $60 and the "friendship".I would chalk it up to lesson learned. It sucks this is happening to you. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #13 of 51

WOW! like the saying goes.. With friends like these.... who needs enemies!

that's what worries me about doing cakes for friends, but i guarantee you this, if a friend did that to me, i'd have one less person to worry about because they wouldn't be my friend any longer! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!!! icon_sad.gif

Win Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #14 of 51

You even made her a demo cake? You really did not make anything on this at all, did you? So, it truly is if you gave it away anyway. Measure carefully what pursuing this is worth to you. Can you appeal to her sense of decency (it does not appear as if she has much to begin with)? Contract or no contract, you allowed her to take advantage of "friendship" by not requesting down payment or payment in full before delivery. Will she bad mouth you to friends and damage your reputation? So, it is just better now to chalk it up to a life lesson? Hard questions. Sorry this is something you have to angst over.

FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #15 of 51

I'd drop her as a friend.. FAST. She is most certainly NOT your friend to treat you like that.

You made a BIG mistake though.. not getting paid before you baked the cake though. Make sure you never do that again. If you had recieved payment ahead of time you wouldn't be in this position in the first place. I know you were trying to be nice, but being nice and being in business don't mix well. The business person always ends up getting shafted.

I'd chalk it up to a BIG lesson learned (both in business and in life) and drop thsi woman on her ass. No one needs "friends" like that.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:16am
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

My opinion...take the high road. Write off the $60 as a mistake you will NEVER make again, along with the friendship. Lessons learned the hard way are hard lessons learned well. Move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

I feel for you and am sorry this happened. I am only saying what I would do, not what I think you should do. That only you can decide. I would write off the $60 and the "friendship".I would chalk it up to lesson learned. It sucks this is happening to you. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I'd just let it go,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

If you had recieved payment ahead of time you wouldn't be in this position in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

... Contract or no contract, you allowed her to take advantage of "friendship" by not requesting down payment or payment in full before delivery. Will she bad mouth you to friends and damage your reputation? So, it is just better now to chalk it up to a life lesson? Hard questions. Sorry this is something you have to angst over.

I could not disagree more. It's not the op's fault the bride is an ungrateful crook. No way. It is right and good to expect your friends to be friends. This woman is an unscrupulous Jezebel and it in no way reflects on the op.

Our op got screwed big time and we frankly need to support her. She did nothing wrong. Naive maybe but that's how we all learn huh.

Get your money!!! Do not drop it. Do not fade into the wallpaper because this brazen hussy inconsiderate thief is screwing you. Stand up for yourself and fight for yourself. No one else can or will do it for you.

Eisskween Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:13am
post #17 of 51

I totally agree with K8Memphis. Does she do this with her other bills too.

You did a full cake at a minimal price (did it even cover the ingredients?) Not to mention the time and work you put into it.

She obviously is NOT a friend and you should pursue the matter. Why should you be out money because this person is obviously ignorant and to immature to own up to her responsibility.

Good luck to you and don't let one bad apple dissuade you either. Enjoy your day! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:17am
post #18 of 51

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that you no doubt told her a bazillion times " Now remember.... I'm just starting out, and I'm not very good".etc. etc.......... Am I right ? Don't EVER do that ! Not even with a "friend"..... now she is using your own words on you..... Tell her you want your money, and you want it NOW......and write her off as a friend..... she never was, nor will she be.......

Jocmom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:17am
post #19 of 51

You can play hard ball and hound your friend - and she will probably pay - but she will bad-mouth you and never talk to you again.

Or . . . you can use the "soft" approach. Allow your friend to save face, and possibly salvage the relationship. Call her and say," We've been friends for ____ (years, months, whatever). That's why I offered to make your cake at a discount - to help out a friend. Now I need your help. You agreed to pay me $60 for my work, and I can't afford to throw away $60 right now. If cash is tight for you, believe me, I understand. I've spent money on your cake that I could have used to pay ______. I'll accept $____ a week until the $60 is paid in full . . . but I DO need you to pay me."

If she says that she didn't like the cake, remind her that she liked it when she picked it up. As for it being dry or crumbling, remind her that she's tried your cakes in the past. Why would this one suddenly be dry?

If she still refuses to pay, tell you that you didn't want to resort to legal action, but she really has left you no other choice at this point. (She really hasn't left you with any choice. She signed a contract. You gave her a discount, you made the cake she wanted, you waited for payment, you tried to reason with her, you tried to set up a payment plan . . .)

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.

mandi1613 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:33am
post #20 of 51

Dealing with friends with money issues here is my advice. if she is a good friend you do not want to lose your friend over $60. What i suggest is writing off the $60 and make a mental note for yourself to never do a cake for her again. If she ever asks again just tell her your too busy. I have had a couple of friends borrow money and not repay it. but i don't think money should be responsible for ending a good relationship.

FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #21 of 51

I'm sorry Kate, but if she had been paid in advance.. she wouldn't be looking for her money right now. That's what I'm saying. I don't care who it is.. no money.. no cake. I love my friends, and this makes sure that there are no akward moments. You pay for your cake before I bake it unless it is my gift to you.

Yes we all want to be trusting souls, but too many times it's the trusting souls that get trampled on. Business is business. At this point I think it's pretty clear that she isn't going to see the money. Even if she takes her to court and they rule in her favor.. there's no guarantee she'll ever get paid. For $60.. it's not worth it. Would I still ask again.. sure, but if a stink is raised.. I don't think $60 is worth it. You certainly aren't going to teach her a lesson.. it seems to me that she probably does this more times than she should and you aren't going to make her see the light.

Have a contract and get paid in advance.. you won't have to hunt down your money.. period. No money.. no cake.. no problems. Even if after the fact she was looking for a refund.. at least the decorator is holding all the chips. You have to be at least a little cynical to succede in any business venture.

alidpayne Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:15pm
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi1613

Dealing with friends with money issues here is my advice. if she is a good friend you do not want to lose your friend over $60. What i suggest is writing off the $60 and make a mental note for yourself to never do a cake for her again. If she ever asks again just tell her your too busy. I have had a couple of friends borrow money and not repay it. but i don't think money should be responsible for ending a good relationship.

Mandi1613, you must have a very hard time making friends if you are willing to even entertain the idea that this woman is a "good friend". Even if she was the OP's BEST friend in the whole world, it is pretty obvious that she does not have any respect for the OP and is not, and has probably never REALLY been her friend. Anyone that would treat you this way is not your friend. If you allow it to happen once, that so called "friend" will take advantage of you from now on.

I advise the OP to make an effort to get her money. Even if she doesn't try to get her money she should most definately drop this woman as a friend. I cannot imagine being desperate enough for companionship that I would allow people who would treat me this way to be my "friend". She is not "ruining a good relationship". This was never a good relationship in the first place, or else this problem would not exist.

summernoelle Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

It's interesting that you are concerned about losing her as a friend when she clearly does not extend that sentiment to you by stiffing you. She sold your friendship for a $60 cake.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. You are all worried, and she's like, whatever, I'm not paying you because you aren't worth it. And she doesn't seem at all bothered about possibly losing a friendship...

Was it the first cake in your gallery? If so, the cake was perfectly acceptable and you did nothing wrong by serving it. It was very pretty.

If she doesn't pay you, I would say you have to let it go. But do NOT forget this in the future-this woman is not a friend, and a mooch to boot. Do not trust her again, with anything.

iamlis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #24 of 51

Oh dannnng! What a FABULOUS BFF! I'll just bet the 75 guests managed to "Choke" down the dry and crambly cake! WHATEVER!

Oh little Butterfly831915 flap those little wings and fly away from this loony-toon! I would make her rue the day she EVER burnt me. No returned phone calls, no texts or emails, your good deed and time and PERSONAL money mean nothing to this "friend" you better be done with her and quick, before she has kids with birthday cakes, and anniversary with anniversary cake...get the drift??

mommakristin Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #25 of 51

I feel your pain. I think that all of us have been there in some form or fashion.

I agree with everyone saying you are more than likely not going to get your money BUT use this as your voice inside your head whenever you are asked again by a friend to do a cake. Whether friend or not get your money up front and don't discount so much off again. Business is business. It's a hard concept for people who don't do this type of business. Especially in the world as it is right now-- Everyone wants something for nothing.

I, myself, did a cake not too long ago for a co-worker. The strawberry shortcake design in my gallery by the way. Told her the cost was $100. She agreed. I assumed (this was before I started using a contract and she is the main reason I now have contracts) that she would pay me when I dropped the cake. Well she conveniently wasn't at the party yet. It was at a local party place so I left the cake feeling confident that when we came to work on Monday that she would pay. Oh how wrong was I!!!!! At work Monday she conveniently found things that over the years I "Owed" her for that all added up to $100. WTH?!?! BUT I had no proof that she signed a contract- BTW- I did not owe her for ANYTHING- I have always paid my share of whatever we needed to purchase such as boss's gifts etc. BUT I had no proof that I had paid even though everyone in the office agreed with me. Anyways, I still have to see this woman everyday at work and be cordial. I hate the fact that my blood, sweat, and tears went in to making her g-dgtr's birthday special and I spent ALL night on the cake. Even missed my son's first scrimmage on varsity football for this cake. A memory I can't back.

Don't ever sell yourself short again. Your cakes are great and taste good I am sure. Chalk this up to a learning experience and move on. It hurts I know that you have found out the hard way what a "fair weathered" friend this girl is.

Good luck
Kristin

iamlis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:19pm
post #26 of 51

And one last thing I am with Jkalman, PLEASE let this be a learning experience for you, NEVER do anything (ESPECIALLY FAMILY THEY ARE THE WORST) without getting paid first! EVEN if it is just for your supplies dear. SO learn from this mistake, and in the future, hopefully no more "friends" would take advantage of you, but just to cover your tail, make em pay!

I don't even book an order without a creditcard number, "WHAT!?!? Jimmy is turning 3 in January!" "Will that be be Visa or MasterCard" It is now the only way to book for me, but in my case it just helps weed out the nut jobs that want precious to have a $300.00 party cake on layaway.

alvarezmom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #27 of 51

You sound like a great friend...your even worried about losing her as a friend. It's easy for every one here to tell you she isnt your friend--because that is what it looks like.

It's a shame that this happened to you, as I'm sure it has happened to others and will/could happen to any one here.

No matter how close you are you should always get the money up front so your not coming out of pocket on costs for the cake. This is your business not your friendship. They are two diffrent things.

Now I understand that you charged her way less because she is your friend it was partly a gift to her, but always take at least half payment up front so you can buy your ingredients. At least you would only be out $30 instead of $60---small amount of comffort I'm sure. At this point If I were you Id be happy with that.

I also read, so I'm not sure how true this is, but you can ask some of the others that have their own business and know more of the legal aspect. But if your contract isnt looked over/drawn up by a lawyer then the contract wont stand up in court...AGAIN, I remember reading that on a thred in the Cake Business forum, so I am not sure how true this is.

I do agree with some of the other posters your going to spend more time and money trying to fight for $60 when this lady truely isnt worth anymore of your time. I do feel like she should pay you because you know, I know, and every else here knows that her and the guests ate the cake-therefore she should pay you for it.

Which road will you take? The high one I'm sure...

FromScratch Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 51

Her contract should stand up in court.. it was a written agreement between two parties. It's a good idea to have a lawyer look over your legal documents to assure that they cover your local ordinances, but a written agreement should stand up in court. You run into most issues with the terms and conditions as what you can legally ask for can vary from state to state, but having a signed document stating you are providing this service for $xxx.xx is usually sufficient for a contract.

I just had to say OMG Kristen.. that woman is a complete cow. Coming at you with things you "owed" her as reason she shouldn't pay you??? The nerve! I'd have been so angry.

mommakristin Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #29 of 51

Oh you have no idea!! I have to see her everyday at work!! We are a small office so I see her often during the day. Well guess what? Her daughter is pregnant and is needing a baby shower cake! HMM??? i love her daughter dearly she is actually a friend of mine but there will be no cake without payment first. AND there will be no discounting anything for her! She will pay full price for a cake from me from here on out. If she doesn't like that she can go elsewhere. I am not going to sacrifice my sanity or my cakes anymore!

First time shame on her- the second time shame on me!

I am determined to NOT let there be a second time!

sari66 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #30 of 51

I'm sorry this happened to you! I agree with the other posters drop this woman from your list of friends and go after your money any way you can.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Big hug

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%