How Do Get My Buttercream Icing As Smooth As Fondant?

Decorating By biesecker Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm by indydebi

biesecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biesecker Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 3

I am new at decorating cakes, and I love working with fondant. However, since it is so expensive, I would like to know some great techniques to get my BC to look smooth as silk. I have heard of using parchment paper, etc....but don't know! Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Mary

2 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

This is the method I use:

First I use a flat edged scraper to get the sides and top fairly smooth. A plastic scraper works great to bevel the edges. Hold the scraper so that it has a curve to it and run it along the top edge. Smooth the excess into the frosting.

Let this crust for about 5 minutes, then take a paper towel, place it on the cake, and gently rub with your hand to smooth. Lift the towel and place in a new location. Work quickly. If the towel sticks, then let the frosting crust a little more.

The get it really smooth, take a fondant smoother over a new paper towel in the same method, including the top and edges.

There are many other ways, this just works well for me.

Michele

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 3

Go to the home page and scroll down until you find the instructions to Melvira's Method of using a paint roller to smooth it.

I found this about a year ago and I've NEVER made a cake without it since! My family knows if they want to send me into a big tizzy, they just have to hide my Melvira Roller!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%