How Do Get My Buttercream Icing As Smooth As Fondant?

Decorating By biesecker Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm by indydebi

biesecker Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 3

I am new at decorating cakes, and I love working with fondant. However, since it is so expensive, I would like to know some great techniques to get my BC to look smooth as silk. I have heard of using parchment paper, etc....but don't know! Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

2 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 3

This is the method I use:

First I use a flat edged scraper to get the sides and top fairly smooth. A plastic scraper works great to bevel the edges. Hold the scraper so that it has a curve to it and run it along the top edge. Smooth the excess into the frosting.

Let this crust for about 5 minutes, then take a paper towel, place it on the cake, and gently rub with your hand to smooth. Lift the towel and place in a new location. Work quickly. If the towel sticks, then let the frosting crust a little more.

The get it really smooth, take a fondant smoother over a new paper towel in the same method, including the top and edges.

There are many other ways, this just works well for me.

indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 3

Go to the home page and scroll down until you find the instructions to Melvira's Method of using a paint roller to smooth it.

I found this about a year ago and I've NEVER made a cake without it since! My family knows if they want to send me into a big tizzy, they just have to hide my Melvira Roller!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%