Making Taller Cakes

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm by mandifrye

TheCakerator Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so I know that you can make your cakes 3in high instead of 2in in a 2in pan by adding a paper rim. Would I use wax paper? Does this really work? Do you lower your baking temps? Thanks for any help.

8 replies
mandifrye Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 9

You can use either parchment or wax paper for this method! Just trim down to ensure that it is not too tall and bake away. I always bake my cakes at 300, so I haven't ever lowered my oven temp, but I do use bake even strips.


TheCakerator Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 9

thank you for the reply ... before the batter is baked and you are filling the pan, you would go right up past the top of the pan and onto the wax paper? Does this seem to create a bulge of the cake like over the sides of the pan? Do you know what I mean? Or does it bake up nice and straight? Thank you

mandifrye Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 9

I haven't had buldges! However, you need to make sure that you don't try to go too deep. The taller the paper, the more likely it would be to buldge.

Good Luck -

TheCakerator Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 9

ok thank you!

TheCakerator Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 9

ok I guess I have one more question, I use wilton's cake release for my pans .. would I grease the wax paper just like I would grease the inside of my pans, or do I just leave that along? I guess I would grease it since the sides of the pan down low would be covered in the paper too ... Right?

mandifrye Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 9

I always do spray mine, but I don't think that it would stick.


TheCakerator Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 9

thanks a lot!

mandifrye Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 9

You are very welcome! Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%