Topsy Turvy Or Mad Hatter Cake Instructions

Decorating By jannp Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm by nickshalfpint

jannp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jannp Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 9

any1 know where i can find some instructions on making an topsy turvy or mad hatter cake?

8 replies
HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 9

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=71115&pid=969488&st=0

copy and paste that url thats where I got my info =)

goodluck

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 9

There is an article here on CC but evidently there are some problems with the articles loading now. If you google 'whimsical cake instructions' a few sites will pop up. There is one at the top that is pretty good but it will not allow me to post the link here. HTH

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 9

Welcome to CC
At the bottom of the list of articles there is a button that says view all articles click on it and tehn scroll down to the bottom there is a tutorial

Jibbies

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 9

Go into the "forums" tab and then do a search for topsy turvy. You will find TONS of info there (maybe even too much! icon_lol.gif )

I'm working on my first one right now. I decided to only do the bottom tier topsy turvy the first time until I give it a run-through first.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Welcome to CC
At the bottom of the list of articles there is a button that says view all articles click on it and tehn scroll down to the bottom there is a tutorial

Jibbies

For some reason it's not coming up.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 9

I don't do the hole on top to make a flat spot (as per the instructions here at CC), I just stack like a normal tiered cake. I saw it in Lindy Smith's book so I havne't looked back! I had so many issues with that freakin' flat spot... icon_razz.gif

A quick review:
1. Typical size is an 8"9"10" bottom tier with a 6"7"8" top tier.

2. Stack them upside down to carve; the 10" on the bottom, 8" on top.
- I cut straight down from the 8" to the 10", going all around and slicing off the edges until it's fairly smooth (it doesn't have to be perfect). It's easier than trying to slice while circling the cake.

3. Flip it over, remove the 10" from the top to slice the angle. Just free-hand it, cutting from the top edge of the 10" down to the bottom edge of the 10". Smooth a thin layer of BC over the top of it after you've cut off the wedge, then place the wedge back on the cake, but rotate it so that the two thickest sides are together, creating a more drastic angle.

4. Fill your layers (still talking about the 8"9"10"). Do any trimming that needs to be done once you've re-assembled the bottom tier before crumbcoating. Put in fridge and repeat steps with the top tier (6"7"8").

5. Remove from fridge after crumbcoat is nice and chilled and apply the final coat of BC and fondant (if using).

6. I glue together 4 pieces of foam core board as my cake base so that I can hammer my dowels all the way into it.

7. Dowel your bottom tier, cutting them flush at the angle on top.

8. Carefully slice another slight wedge from the bottom of the top tier. I do this for two reasons: (1) it helps it sit straighter so it isn't protruding out too far to one side, and (2) it keeps the filling layers a little more flat once placed on top of the bottom tier. I'll draw a rough illustration...

9. Once I've BC, fondanted (did I just make up a new word?), and stacked the top tier on top of the bottom tier, I hammer 2 dowels through the entire cake into the foam core base. This really only needs to be done if you want to deliver the cake fully assembled, otherwise you can just stack the cake once you get to your destination. A small dab of piping gel holds the top in place - I've never had one fall or even slightly slip.

The holes in top from the 2 stabilizing dowels are usually covered with decoration of some sort, but they can be spackled with thinned fondant if the top needs to be plain.
LL

jannp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jannp Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

thank you every1 for your input.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 9

MacsMom................Thank you so much thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%