Meringue Powder

Decorating By carolbby Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm by Mike1394

carolbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolbby Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 7

Do anyone use meringue powder? Exactly what does it do for buttercream?

6 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 7

As an instructor, I tell my students that putting some meringue powder into their practice icing will help to 'stabilize' it, and keep it from breaking down from the heat of their hand so quickly.

It also can help air-dried flowers to dry faster.

Mainly it is used to make royal icing - instead of using raw egg whites.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

I use it, especially in hot weather. It helps to stabilize the icing (helps to prevent melting/sliding), especially in hot or humid conditions. I think it may also speed up crusting.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 7

I am taking the wilton course 1 right now and when the instructor gave us a recipe for buttercream with the meringue powder in it. When asking what it was for, she said that it is the key ingrediant to make the buttercream crust.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 10:21am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrulyexotic

I am taking the wilton course 1 right now and when the instructor gave us a recipe for buttercream with the meringue powder in it. When asking what it was for, she said that it is the key ingrediant to make the buttercream crust.

Well NOT LOLOL it's the powdered sugar to fat to liquid ratio.

Mike

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Mike

There's no need to be rude. I am VERY new at this, and was just going by what my instructor had told us.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Mike

There's no need to be rude. I am VERY new at this, and was just going by what my instructor had told us.

Wasn't being rude. I certainly wasn't LOLing at you. Is was at your instructor. Someone that passes themself off as an expert. So now you know MP is not the main factor on whether BC crusts, or not.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%