I Want To Cry :( Unhappy Customer

Decorating By yvy_cano Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm by akgirl10

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But you also have to balance cash-out-of-hand vs. "will I ever use this again?" If I buy a container of orange fondant for a Halloween cake and I'm only going to use half of it, and I will have absolutely zero use for the other half of it, then I'm incorporating the entire cost into my costs for the cake. It's called "Scrap Factor" and it's a legitimate business expense.

Balancing act....

Good point Debi...I was hoping you would respond again on this thread...to make sure I was right, and offer anymore insight.
This is yet another reason why pricing can get complicated, but even more why it's good to take time to price things correctly, and not feel rushed to give someone a price at the spur of the moment, off the top of your head. I try to emphasize that my prices are STARTING prices, and can vary with design. I also tell people I will call back with their quote sometimes.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #32 of 39

I can't tell you how many times I do a cake and the person ordering it either doesn't tell me they want the person's name on it, or gives me the wrong spelling! I've gotten used to always asking for the person's name but in the begining, I didn't.

I just did a Tinkerbell cake a couple of weeks ago and the Grandmother gave me the child's name...but misspelled it. Of course, when I delivered the cake, the Father is like, "Dude...that's not how you spell my Daughter's name." And I'm like, "Dude...that's how your Mom told me it was spelled." I didn't offer to fix it. Even if I had, the letters were piped on then airbrushed over. If I had changed the S to a C, you'd have totally seen the "S" shadow! And I'm not re-fondanting an entire tier over a wrong spelling!!!

I dunno...maybe I'm getting to be a bit of a jerk when it comes to things like that because I spent so much time in the begining trying to apologize for the customer's mistakes!! Not anymore.

Your cake was very clean and neat. As far as the price, if she agreed on that design beforehand, what the heck was she expecting you to do differently?!?! She asked for a basketball with skateboards...you gave her a basketball with skateboards!! If she agreed to the $60.00 based on that design, then she got what she paid for as far as I'm concerned.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

I can't tell you how many times I do a cake and the person ordering it either doesn't tell me they want the person's name on it, or gives me the wrong spelling! I've gotten used to always asking for the person's name but in the begining, I didn't.

I just did a Tinkerbell cake a couple of weeks ago and the Grandmother gave me the child's name...but misspelled it. Of course, when I delivered the cake, the Father is like, "Dude...that's not how you spell my Daughter's name." And I'm like, "Dude...that's how your Mom told me it was spelled." I didn't offer to fix it. Even if I had, the letters were piped on then airbrushed over. If I had changed the S to a C, you'd have totally seen the "S" shadow! And I'm not re-fondanting an entire tier over a wrong spelling!!!

I dunno...maybe I'm getting to be a bit of a jerk when it comes to things like that because I spent so much time in the begining trying to apologize for the customer's mistakes!! Not anymore.

When I ordered my son's varsity jacket, I wanted his name embroidered on it. The guy that took the order made me write my son's name in block print on the order form and initial it. Smart man. When someone asks me for a personalized cake, I have them write out the name or email the spelling to me. Any mistake is clearly their fault.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #34 of 39

Ok so some people said it should only take 1 cake mix for a 9 in. So I tried it and it came out too short, I definitely was right in using 2 boxes... I also bought the Sams club buttercream icon_smile.gif I havent tried it yet but I will be icing this cake with it. I like the idea of not having to make my own buttercream lol

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:25am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvy_cano

" A cake should not cost $60.00 unless its a big 3d cake or something..."

Oh yeeeaaaahhh, those big 3D cakes that go for $60.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

To me, your cake (2 mixes +)should have served at least 40... 1 cake mix would have been more than enough.

I was suggesting that a smaller cake would have been more appropriate to serve 10, not that 1 cake mix was enough for a 9" round.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:04pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I was suggesting that a smaller cake would have been more appropriate to serve 10, not that 1 cake mix was enough for a 9" round.

Hi PastryJen, someone else actually asked why did it take 2 cake mixes for a 9" pan, so I tried it with 1 box and it was kinda short. I fixed it with extra icing so it doesnt look too bad. Its a freebie anyway (no not for this lady so please do not jump at me icon_biggrin.gif ) Its for my bff's dad, he is always saying to me (with a very heavy spanish accent) Listen to me, where is my cake? SO I finally get to say, here is joor cake lol...

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #38 of 39

Good, I'm glad!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #39 of 39

That's a great cake, your presentation is so neat and clean, I love it.

I think, as others have said, the main issue was the size of the cake. If she asked for a cake to feed 10, in her mind that $60 cake was $6 per serving, regardless of whether or not she had leftovers. I think in the future you need to find a size chart you like and show the customer how you price.

I like the wilton party servings guide, and an 8" would have been plenty, 20 servings, and would have cost you less.

Don't let her get to you, you do great work!
I like th

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%