Icing Slide Off My Cake

Decorating By carolbby Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm by tonicake

carolbby Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 5

My heart is hurting. I delivered a 3 tier wedding cake (not assembled). Got to the location and found the icing had slide down the sides on the bottom tier. The groom, who picked and ordered the cake happened to be checking on the reception area came and said "not to worry" the 2 remaining tiers looked great. And as long as it tasted good, not to worry. It's my first disaster of many wedding cakes. I wonder would the bride have been as understanding? It really shook my confidence and broke my heart. I can't stop crying over it. I know what an important part of a wedding the cake is. Has this happened to anyone else? I did the same thing as I always do. However, the road traveling to the reception was like riding on railroad tracks. Anyone else have this problem? How do you recover yoru confidence from such a thing?

4 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 5

I am so sorry this happened to you. I had this happen once, I was taking a cake to my Wilton class and I fussed and fussed over that icing until it was smooth as glass. I did it the day before, refrigerated the cake and when I got to class the icing had just fallen off of one side, broke my heart. In my case I think it was a cold cake in the Alabama heat of summer that caused it but I cant be sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in about why this may have happened.

indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

What was your fat/sugar ratio in the icing? I use 1-1/3 cups of fat to 2 lbs of p.sugar. In my humble opinion, too much fat makes the icing "slickery" and it's more apt to slide.

Did you refrigerate the cake after it was iced? THe only time I've ever had icing problems was when I refrigerated the cake ... so I NEVER refrigerate cakes at all anymore.

The railroad-track-roads probably didn't help regardless.

DanishPastry Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:58am
post #4 of 5

I had this happen several years ago when I made my niece's wedding cake, then transported it 150 miles on decent roads. It was in July and I'd refrigerated the frosted cake overnight so it was sweating a little bit. I'd coated the cake layers in flavored liquor before crumb coating, so I thought maybe the cake was too wet, making the frosting susceptible to sliding on the bumps. Luckily I set it up the night before and I'd brought extra frosting, so I was able to repair the damage. I actually ended up scraping the 6" cake and starting over on that layer. When I make my daughter's December wedding cake, I'm going to transport the crumb coated cakes the 240 miles and then frost/decorate.

tonicake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 5

So sorry this happened. I can feel your pain. Even on a simple bday cake, it's painful. I haven't had the opportunity to do many wedding cakes, but I'm sure a disaster is in my future. It's just cake and we can't always know the weather or the road conditions. I am grateful for you the groom was so understanding. That has to help a little.

Don't worry, you must be good at what you do or they wouldn't have ordered from you in the first place. Just keep decorating!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%