Covering A 3D Cake With Fondant

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm by SUUMEME

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to do a 3d car and need to cover it in fondant. Can I cover the cake when it is frozen? How do you cover the cakes? What's the best way to cover it so that you can get all the details smooth? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

4 replies
mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 5

Lisa,
I watched Mike (of Mike's Amazing Cakes) cover a mustang car cake with fondant. He chilled his cake, and may have had it frozen. Then he just rolled a large sheet of fondant and placed it over the cake. He slowly smoothed it out, using his fingers and hands to get all the curves and details. He started from the top and worked his way down the cake. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 5

Here's boonenati's tutorial on making a 3D fondant covered Cars cake:

http://www.how2cakes.com/3dcar.html

HTH

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 5

I also think it helps to use a GOOD fondant. I almost passed out the first time I used Choco-Pan, because I had been using Wilton's prior and the difference between the two was AMAZING.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 5

In the past when I covered a frozen cake w/ fondant it sweated and made the fondant slipery and wet. Now if I am going to cover my cake in fondant I only refridgerate it and never freeze it beforehand. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%