Personalized Barbie Cake Idea

Decorating By jennicita Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm by flamingobaker

jennicita Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:44am
post #1 of 8

Hi ladies!

I haven't seen this idea posted on here yet so I thought I'd add it. A few years ago I made a cake for a Peruvian neighbor of mine (before I really knew how to do cakes) who is the heart and soul of our international women's group. As a joke, she calls herself the mayor of Haltingen (the town we live in). Well, for her 40th birthday I made her a cake depicting her as the queen of Haltingen. Now here comes the idea....

I found a Barbie with exactly her hair, dressed her up in a crystal crown (hard to see), pearly necklace and bracelets and then cut out a picture of my friend's face (in the right size of course), taped it over Barbie's face and then wrapped a thin strip of plastic wrap around the head to get the curvature. The hair covered the edges of the photo and you should have seen her as we presented the cake and she recognized herself! She was in tears and couldn't stop laughing! It looked just like her. She was thrilled!

I just thought this might be fun for some of those girls out there who want a princess cake - what could be better than a beautiful Barbie cake that looks just like you! (with a few more curves, of course!)

Here's a picture of it. I'm too embarrassed about the execution of the cake to post it in my photos (this is the cake that taught me you absolutely NEED a flat surface to write on! And that you should plan your lettering a bit better...) but wanted to share the idea at least.

Hope it inspires someone!

7 replies
sweet_T7 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:57am
post #2 of 8

Love it!!! What a cute Idea!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

FantasyLand Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 8

A client is requesting a halloween "witch"/barbie that looks like her daughter ... my oh my ... so now it IS possible icon_wink.gif) THANX!

Sorry, could not open photo, but love the idea!

pamconn Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 8

That really looks cool!

flamingobaker Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for sharing that neat idea!

I think you should post it in your photos (all your cakes there are done so nicely) because it is an original idea. If you put tags like "personalized face" or some such thing people could find it and then you could explain how you did it. icon_smile.gif

jennicita Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the compliments! icon_biggrin.gif

The witch sounds like fun, FantasyLand! I'd love to see her when you're done!

And you really don't think the cake is too embarrassing lukasross? Maybe I will put it in. I suppose I just have to re-state that it's from my early cake days. I haven't posted any of the early ones yet - my standards are so different now! I've seriously become a total cake snob. icon_smile.gif

jennicita Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 8

I just realized...

I think I have to apologize - I wrote "hi ladies" in the first post and that was stupid - although in the minority, there are some incredible guys on the site.
Sorry to all of you! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I didn't really mean to offend/forget you!

flamingobaker Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 8

I understand your hesitation about putting it in your pictures, but don't be embarrassed. Compared to all your other cakes it just looks like it was done before your skills improved. Be proud of that! thumbs_up.gif
And like I said, it's a neat idea that should be shared!

Quote by @%username% on %date%