Fondant Sometimes Comes Off Cake

Decorating By tlreetz Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm by Rylan

tlreetz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 6

Okay, this is a little thing that has annoyed me for a long time now and I can't seem to resolve it 100%!! I torte and ice my cake, chill it and then cover in fondant (Satin Ice). Completely decorate it and then sometimes (not always) a few hours later or the next day, the fondant starts to pull loose from the cake. A bulge will appear in the fondant and it completely annoys the heck out of me!! It's stuck to the cake and then all of a sudden it bulges (bubbles) in an area hours or a day later. What is going on??

5 replies
KoryAK Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 6

You are using mix cakes and they are settling.

itsasweetthing Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

I have learned that this is because of the moisture in the cake. If you take your cake out of the fridge at least 1 hour before covering with fondant, this helps.
I am assuming that you have also crumb coated your cake before refrigeration too.
When these bubbles come up for me, I just poke a tiny hole with a toothpick, press the air out with my smoother and then fill hole with royal icing.

Hope that helps !

tlreetz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not using mix cakes, they are baked 24 hours before crumb coating. Then put in the fridge to chill and then covered with fondant.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:59am
post #5 of 6

I have had the same problems and somehow this procedure got past me until now. After taking your cake out of the refrigerator lightly spray it with water before draping the fondant over it. This will adhere the fondant to the buttercream. Another often used method is brush on Piping Gel with a large brush all over the cake then drape the fondant on. Both of these methods I have recently tried and both work perfectly.

Rylan Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

What do you use for the fondant to adhere?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%