Pricing My First Big Cake....

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 3:49am by Ruby2uesday

Ruby2uesday Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so a friend at work asked me to make her dd's sweet 16 cake. she found this cake below that she wants but just the top 3 tiers. i told her i'd get back with her on the price. i'm pricing up the cake using Erlenes serving size and was thinking $3/serv. if she did a 10/8/6 it would be $160 and if she did a 12/10/8 $260. Now i'm sure she'll do the 10/8/6 but just looking at that.... does $160 seem like enough? i've never set a price/serv before so this would be my first. i don't live in a HUGE city but she did see that according to the cake designer they charge like $12/serv so she does realize that it's not going to be free! LOL anyway, what do you all think? Oh and i'm not topsy turvying it. just stacking. never topsy turvyed yet so i'm scared! LOL

Designer is Pinkcakebox dot com who makes BEAUTIFUL fun whimsical cakes!!!!

eta: do you all charge extra for the shooting stars/fondant number/monogram??? thanks, ruby
LL

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:07am
post #2 of 8

I mean how many servings does she want to serve? Did she say?

I think I would do a 3" difference in the tiers. I'm not a fan of cakes that are two inch difference. I think that cake needs at least the 3" to maximize the drama of all the colors and the cool borders. That's just me.

So I might charge extra for the shooting stars and standing 16--probably like $20-$25. That's not real hard like orchid bouquets or something.

$3 per serving plus topper and stars or $3.50 per serving and toss in the tper & stars.

I use Wilton's chart because people who know what they are doing cut ungenerous sized slices and I want to get paid by that same standard.

So some money thoughts plus ramblings...

Ruby2uesday Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #3 of 8

She didn't tell me servings. She just wants that look. hmmmm 3inch. i agree w/ you on the look. "DARN" now i'll have to go buy some more pans. lol

it is confusing on why to choose erlenes over wilton's or wilton's over erlenes. i just figured that people who don't know will cut bigger sizes???

Thanks for the thoughts/advice!!! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2uesday

She didn't tell me servings. She just wants that look. hmmmm 3inch. i agree w/ you on the look. "DARN" now i'll have to go buy some more pans. lol

it is confusing on why to choose erlenes over wilton's or wilton's over erlenes. i just figured that people who don't know will cut bigger sizes???

Thanks for the thoughts/advice!!! icon_smile.gif

Yes it is confusing to choose which chart--I started with Wilton ages ago so that's my story. But I mean I'll have folks purchase a quarter sheet for example and serve a 1x2 little bitty slice out of it and yield 50 servings out of a 25 serving cake. Well I'll be danged if I don't figure out some way to get paid for that. I mean you can see the flowers printed on the plate through the slice of cake-agh!!

So I make sure I tell people it's comparable to a cupcake size serving.

You could do 10x7x4 or an 11x8x5--I mean do a 12x9x6 if you get the choice. Lookie--each of these sizes will take the same amount of work So err on the side of making more money for yourself with the larger sized cake that yields the greatest amount of servings according to the industry giant Wilton.

Just some pricing thoughts for you to consider.

Happy cakes to you.

FromScratch Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 8

You are going to need to sit and figure out how much it will cost YOU to make this cake before you can even think about a per servings price. I agree with Kate.. 3" difference in tiers is the most pleasing to the eye.. I'd do a 6-9-12 or a 4-7-10.

I use a modified wilton.. I round down to 5's.. so if wilton says 24 I say 20.. if they say 38 I say 35. I like round numbers.. it makes the math easier.. icon_wink.gif. I also provide a cutting guide with every cake.

$3/serving wouldn't be too bad using wilton's chart.. I'd do more like $3.50-4.00 if you are using Earlene's. You are giving them 50% more cake with Earlene's chart vs Wilton's.

I'd calle the 6-9-12 cake 90 servings and the 4-7-10 cake 55 servings.

I would personally charge $6/serving and yes charge extra for the numbers and the stars.. icon_smile.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 8

is there another link for the Wilton's serving chart? the one i was looking at said a 12/9/6 is 76 serv. it's the one that shows the amount of batter etc.... too.

Thanks ladies. you all are being very helpful!!! I appreciate! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #7 of 8

I bet you are looking at the Wilton chart for party sized servings. I price everything off my version of the wedding chart. icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

For me, this is how I break it down:

4"- 5 servings
7"- 15
10"- 35

6"- 10
9"- 30
12"- 50

Ruby2uesday Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

You are looking at the Wilton chart for party sized servings. I price everything off my version of the wedding chart. icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

For me, this is how I break it down:

4"- 5 servings
7"- 15
10"- 35

6"- 10
9"- 30
12"- 50

Thanks, i was looking at the Batter amount which also included number of servings per.... thanks for the link!!! PERFECT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%