Cursive Names

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I have seen lots of cakes on here that use either fondant or gumpaste rolled out into ropes, and then made into names and put on cakes. I am needing to do this for a cake this weekend and I'm wondering how you guys actually make the names look like names? I tried finding a font in my Microsoft word program but I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction or not .. do you just "eye" the name? If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it!!

9 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:19am
post #2 of 10

I swear you were reading my mind...i've been wanting to know the same thing.

TheCakerator Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 10

well maybe someone can help us out here ...... thumbs_up.gif

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 10

Personally - I just wing it. I've only done it on a few cakes, but I was going for a cutesie whimsical look so it was ok.

HTH!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 10

Practice with a piece of yarn...that's what I did when I fell sway to popular crafts in the 80's. Someone decided to make nameplates with rolled dough, then shellacked (sp?)...and gosh! you weren't no one without either owning or making these!

Some of the loopy letters - G, Y may need to be creatively set, to avoid bulkage at intersections. Wish you luck!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 10

Ditto on "winging it."

I lay the ropes out and begin playing around with the best looking lowercase "a" or "r", for instance, that won't look too mumbled or disarrayed. I might make an "h" or "k" 4 times before deciding on one I like.

The most difficult part is getting them to be the same height. I always start with a really long rope, form the letter, and then trim away.

Uaually I make each individual letter them stick them together rather than trying to make one long cursive word.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 10

Ditto on winging it. Also I use Tappits whenever I can. I wish they came bigger.

TheCakerator Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 10

thanks a lot guys .... I guess I will just have to practice practice practice .. my dh helped out last night, but I wasn't liking the end result so he isn't to happy about helping me out tonight so I guess I'm on my own ...

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 10

. . . don't know it this helps . . . http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/product.aspx?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Emblibrary;Alphabets&ShowTop=true . . . but there are lots of possibilities . . . and if you click on a style you like you can find the entire alphabet for that style letter by letter . . .

TheCakerator Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 10

thank you, that is a nice site .. I guess my mind is not working 100% today .. I like several of the letter designs, but not sure how to actually use them to make my name out of fondant ... but they sure are cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%