Storing Cake Batter

Decorating By havingfun Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:33am by GI

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #31 of 41

This is a great site for people sharing. Thank you all for weighing in on this topic!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #32 of 41

To clarify, yes I mix up the batter totally and store larger amounts in 20 pound fondant buckets. Smaller amounts I store in 3# veg shortening containers. (Containers washed and sanitized, of course.) And yes, bakeries get a fair amount of thier product in portioned and frozen for the bakery to bake.

Think about working in a bakery in volume. They do not have time to mix up batches and batches and batches.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #33 of 41

I made up some cake batter today & stuck it in the freezer. I'm going to bake the cake tomorrow for a class Monday night. icon_smile.gif

havingfun Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #34 of 41

GI,
Let us know how it works out!

GI Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:48am
post #35 of 41

I will. It's froze solid right now! icon_biggrin.gif Cake-sickles! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:25am
post #36 of 41

Hi - test results are in from putting a home-made-from-scratch cake batter recipe (2 8"-rounds) into the freezer. I prepped pans as normal (grease, paperlined, grease, flower nails) and froze. (yep, including the nail.) Pre-heated the oven, took the pans out of the freezer, wrapped in baking strips, stuck them in the oven.

Wow, was I horribly disappointed! icon_cry.gif So the cake took forever-and-a-day to bake. But it still didn't come out right. icon_confused.gif It rose evenly and smelled good, looked good...hmmm, don't know what happened. But it was gummy and not really fit to eat. thumbsdown.gif

I may have to break down and really try this again, however, on a chocolate cake that's not quite one of my 'moistest' cake versions.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:20am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Hi - test results are in from putting a home-made-from-scratch cake batter recipe (2 8"-rounds) into the freezer. I prepped pans as normal (grease, paperlined, grease, flower nails) and froze. (yep, including the nail.) Pre-heated the oven, took the pans out of the freezer, wrapped in baking strips, stuck them in the oven.

Wow, was I horribly disappointed! icon_cry.gif So the cake took forever-and-a-day to bake. But it still didn't come out right. icon_confused.gif It rose evenly and smelled good, looked good...hmmm, don't know what happened. But it was gummy and not really fit to eat. thumbsdown.gif

I may have to break down and really try this again, however, on a chocolate cake that's not quite one of my 'moistest' cake versions.

Freezing cake batter made from scratch is not as hardy as cake mixes. Cake mixes are engineered to be almost fool proof. Scratch is not as forgiving.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #38 of 41

I only bake from scratch and haven't had a problem. I've not used baking strips with this method nor a flower nail/heating core...I don't use the latter at any time.

I'm sorry you had negative results with your test run. You tried it with chocolate cake and it didn't work? hmmmmmmm

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:27pm
post #39 of 41

Thank you everybody for all of the information. I have learned so much!!!

For those of you who bake from scratch, what recipe do you use? I would really like to bake from scratch, but the times I have tried the cakes came out very, very dense, almost like a cornbread consistency.

Thanks again for everybodies help!

havingfun Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #40 of 41

I think if I had the freezer space, I would just bake and then freeze. The storing of batter in the refrigerator for several days is the best thing I have learned from this post. I will definitely try that out!

GI Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #41 of 41

cakebatter - I believe you are absolutely correct on the mixes! thumbs_up.gif You know, tho, I will still try a chocolate cake for the freezer.

Ah, haven't had a minute to try it yet. I haven't given up!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%