New Here And Question

Decorating By Wittis Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm by mommakristin

Wittis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wittis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 14

My 11 yr. old son has got me interested in cake deco. He wanted to learn how and we took the Wilton class together. We have had 10 orders for cakes. So, he has a little business started. Our learning curve has had to be quick. I have tried several different BC and am happy with 2 of them. I have even tried IMBC and SMBC. They were both so buttery, but I loved the texture. I've read alot of postings on IMBC and am going to try all those tips. Here's my question. I tried a recipe that has flour, milk, butter, sugar, and vanilla. It tasted very similar to the MBC's and was much easier to make. Have any of you been successful with this type of frosting? I guess I'm always looking for simple. icon_biggrin.gif I have never been a baker, but love to cook. My son is so creative and I've found that decorating cakes is alot of fun! Thanks to all of you who share such great info!

Olivia

13 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome Wittis! Glad to have you here! I have never heard of that recipe. Would you mind posting it? I'm curious to know if anyone here has tried it as well.

Wittis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 14

Here's the recipe:

5 tbl Flour
1 cup Milk
1 cup Butter or margarine
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

Cook flour and milk together until thick (double boiler is best), cool.

Cream butter until light and very fluffy.

Add sugar and cream until fluffy.

Add a little of flour-milk mixture at a time till all is added.

Beat until very fluffy.

Looks like whipped cream. Add vanilla.

If any of you have tried this, I would be interested in your opinion.

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 14

Thank you! That's just granulated sugar, correct?

Wittis Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #5 of 14

Yes, it's just granulated sugar.

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #6 of 14

Thanks!

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 14

Sorry you haven't received an answer yet, but here's a bump for you. By the way, I think it's great that you and your son have found a hobby that you can do together!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 14

I've used this icing before, for filling in cake rolls. It is often called Mary Kay icing.

This icing has a long history in the South. Some folks claim it is truly the only icing to use on a red velvet cake.

It is easy to frost a cake with, but other than basic decorations, can be difficult to pipe, because it's so light. I have yet to make a rose with it, but I have not yet tried using it after refrigeration.

Personally, I am seeking a non-dairy recipe for this icing, to see if it is more stable in warm weather than the dairy type.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 14

Does this icing crust?

Wittis Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the bump on his topic. I don't know how you did that. I'm not much of a computer person. icon_confused.gif

I don't think it crusts. When I made it, I was just trying it out for taste. I'm going to make it again and see what I can do with it.

No wonder I have a recipe for this. I'm a Southern girl. Let me know if you find a version of this that will hold up in warmer weather.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 14

A bump is just someone writing a message to move you back to the top of the boards. icon_biggrin.gif

Boiled icing I believe is the technical name for it, and no, I would not decorate a cake with it, and no it doesn't crust. Neither does IMBC/SMBC.

My experience, the only recipes with enough sugar in it to crust are generally the confectioner's type of icings.

Both Sugarshack's recipe (she also has lots of dvd's on icing, etc.) and Indydebi's recipe are quite popular. Both crust but both are sweet.

If your IMBC tastes buttery, you didn't add nearly enough flavoring to it. Tablespoons upon Tablespoons of vanilla, almond, etc. flavoring must go in it. It's become my favorite. And the chocolate when frozen tastes like ice cream. yum!

BTW, welcome!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 14

there was a long discussionm about this in the infamous cupcake thread. they refer to it as mock whipped frosting. everyone was using it as a substitute for bettercream (not buttercream).

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 14

HI-ratio shortening makes BC more stable (as opposed to Crisco). But it's not widely available without buying a 50 lb bucket for $80-$90. I've found some at countrykitchensa.com for under $8 for 3 lbs, though, if you were interested in trying out a small amount.

I add 1/4 c flour to my recipe without cooking anything: 2 c shortening, 2 lbs PS, 1/4 c flour, adding vanilla coffee creamer 'til I get the right consistency. I add 2 tablespoons of butter extract.

For crusting, add 2 tablespoons meringue powder. For high-humidity, add 2 tablespoons corn starch. I also add 2 tablespoons of corn syrup, but I'm not sure what the purpose of that is! I just read it in a recipe here at CC so I figured, what the heck! LOL.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 14

I still believe that the easiest recipe yet is SS buttercream! I love that recipe. I like that it's not too terribly sweet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%