DEE5 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 18

17 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 18

I am!

DEE5 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 18

Awesome! It's so nice to meet you! I am fairly new to the area and I'm a stay home mom. I've been decorating for about a year now! What about you?

SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 18

Nice to "meet" you too. I'm not from here either, from Seattle, but hubby works for FEMA so I guess we are here as long as there are hurricanes lol. I've been caking for about two years I guess, only taking it real seriously about the last six months or so. I'm home with my kids too, they are teenagers but I homeschool them so that is really my full time job.

DEE5 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 18

Wow, I bet your day is just as busy as mine! I have 3 small kids and they keep me quite busy to say the least! We're here due to my husband's job also. We're a military family. I just love to bake and decorate! I can chat about it all day icon_smile.gif I just discovered a new way to smooth the butter cream... You've probably already tried it, but it requires the use of a foam roller. Have you tried it?

SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 18

I did try the foam roller, it really didn't work for me though. I use a viva towel and copy paper. Have you made it out to Southern Homes & Gardens yet? There really aren't any cake toy stores here other than them, it isn't a very big caking section but better than the craft stores.

DEE5 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #7 of 18

No, I haven't been to Southern Home & Gardens. I think I'll see if they're open tomorrow. My latest project was a castle for my daughter and I just purchased the supplies from Michael's.

SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:17am
post #8 of 18

Be sure to go to the Wetumpka Highway location, Vaughn Road does not carry any of the cake stuff, only plants and gifts.

DEE5 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 18

Okay, thanks a million for the info.

juleskaye518 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 18

Im in Auburn, AL. My DH is in the military too. Navy, he is an instructor at the university. I ve only been doing this for a few weeks, but my sister got me addicted to this site. I'm on here daily!!

DEE5 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 18

War Eagle!! My husband and I are Auburn Grads! How do you like the sea of orange and blue?

juleskaye518 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 18

War Eagle! I am a UF grad, so the orange and blue feel like home. I like it ok here. Much too conservative for my taste. We'll be moving in March, so i'm just going to eat as much cornbread and 'lassas as I can then be off.

SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 18

Well we know where you stand. lol...When we moved here I felt like such an idiot...everybody asks Auburn or Alabama...ummm...sorry? UW Huskies? I still haven't "picked a side" but I was born in Auburn WA so we just go with it.

Dee5 is hubby here for one of the Air Academy courses or is this PCS for you? We worked quite a bit with the International Students here for AWC and ACSC but I took a year off from sponsoring. DH is also National Guard, got back from Iraq a few months ago and it was too much to try and hold down the fort plus help with the internationals. Will probably start up again this next summer when the new students come in.

DEE5 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:10pm
post #14 of 18

This is PCS and school for us. I didn't get a chance to visit Souther Home & Gardens, but I can't wait to get there! Did you guys bake anything this week end? I tried a new pineapple cake recipe but it turned out a bit too dry for me.

KASCARLETT Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 18

juleskay518, I'm in Auburn too! Actually I live in Opeika and WORK in Auburn! hehe

Maybe we can meet sometime! That would be cool!

SouthernSugar Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:56am
post #16 of 18

No caking for me this last weekend. I spent all weekend doing sugar skulls and sugar cookies. This week I am working on gumpaste for a display cake and then a pumpkin pie for my son's birthday (he hates cake).

DEE5 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 18

I finally made it over to SH&G! I absolutely love the place! Thanks again. So, I see that they have an advance cake decorating class. Have you taken it? Just wondering if it's any different from the Michael classes?

SouthernSugar Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 18

It is the Wilton classes, same thing they offer at Michael's. I have been trying to get them to bring in some other classes but to no avail so far icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%