Bludge Around The Middle, Not Mine But The Cakes!

Decorating By terrylee Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 1:49am by terrylee

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

OK....I see all these beautiful cakes, smooth not a bump, bludge, perfectly in line. I have tried different approches to the bludge and bumps and I still get them. I have made sure the cakes are level, fill them and crumb coat and let stand over night....have tried doing the fondant the night before, which I perfer not to do........still I get the slight bludge on a few of my cakes.

I deliver cakes unstacked and assemble on site. I am terrified to transport a cake that has been stacked.

So what is my problem. I do not freeze the cakes and maybe I should refrig them, I don't know. I have traveled 2 hours for some sites.

What"s a person to do........Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for looking.

7 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

I never refrigerate or freeze my cake and I have no problems with bulges. I always follow sugarshack dam advice. Make sure that your dam is really stiff. You should almost be able to roll the icing in a ball. Just keep adding PS to your icing until you think it's too stiff. I think its hard to pipe out of an Icing bag. I don't use any tip. Just a coupler.

HTH!

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 8

You really need to invest in the Sugarshacks DVDs. I got them and I tell ya what...... It made a HUGE HUGE difference in the bulge!!!!! No bulge on my cakes anymore!!! It's awesome. Well worth the money I paid for the DVDs. If you can't afford all three just get the buttercream DVD.

Happy caking!
Kristin

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

After I dam my cakes I always let them sit, wrapped overnight. This will help let the cake settle.

As the others said. Make sure the icing is very stiff.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 8

I just rec'd my sugarshack DVD this week. Makes perfectly sense as to why you need a dam between layers to prevent bulging.
I have a cake due in a couple of weeks and can't wait to use her technique on preventing bulging and smoothing BC.

I highly recommend the DVD

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, it was definately Sharon Z's ( sugarshack ) the Art of Perfecting Buttercream DVD that solved that problem for me!

What a godsend! Well worth the investment! icon_biggrin.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 8

Absolutely Sharon's DVD's. She has one on fondant, BC with the dreaded bulge, and for those afraid of transporting stacked cakes, successful stacking. Luv em all! Has helped me immensely.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone. I will order the DVD.....The thicker icing for the dam make perfect sense.......

Hopefully the only bludge I will have to contend with will be mine....
Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%