How Do You Get A Black Cake Board?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm by Shelly4481

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 11

I really don't want to buy a whole roll of black foil. Is there any foodsafe way to paint it, or what else could I cover it with?

10 replies
LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 11

I've read in other threads that some use clear contact paper. You can cover the board in black gift wrap paper, then wrap with the clear contact paper which you can buy at Target, Kmart, Walmart etc. You might want to try any cake supply shops that might be near you. The one I shop at will sell you the foil in a piece for the size you need so you don't have to buy a whole roll. HTH

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 11

I also buy foil by the piece as LSW stated. You can also cover it in black fondant. HTH

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 11

I have a roll of black paper that I use and cover with contact. That works well.... Or scrapbook paper with contact.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 11

Why don't you flood your board with thinned down royal icing which is tinted black? It is quick and easy, but you need to do it the day before so the icing can dry.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

Why don't you flood your board with thinned down royal icing which is tinted black? It is quick and easy, but you need to do it the day before so the icing can dry.

How does that work when people cut the cake? Does the royal icing crack? Can it withstand the pressure of a knife?

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 11

you could use black fabric. I've heard of people covering boards with fabric!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 11

RI is brittle so it will crack and break if you treat it too roughly. But since the cake is on a cardboard on top of the RI it is not really an issue when you cut the cake.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 11

I think I need to invest in some clear contact paper....that would solve a lot of my problems!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #10 of 11

Is contact paper food safe? This would sure solve a lot of problems if it is.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 11

I use the contact paper but I always put the cake on a foam core board so that it isn't sitting directly on the contact paper. Cut it the same size of the cake, then if any shows you can put a border on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%