Who Screams For Ice Cream???

Lounge By MystiqueFire Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:59am by MystiqueFire

MystiqueFire Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 18

Hey friends,

I landed a pretty sweet job at an ice cream shop (pardon the pun icon_rolleyes.gif ) and I'm their baker/cake maker. BUT I also can do specials on the menu, if I want. I was thinking something along the lines of like one cool sundae a week or something. We can't make our own ice cream (which for me is good because I wouldn't want to, not into that...) but we have basic flavors like vanilla and chocolate, banana, strawberry, peanut butter cup, etc., etc.. We also have seasonal flavors like oatmeal cookie and pumpkin pie. But, I'm kind of at a loss for neat sundaes. Last weekend I did strawberry shortcake and no one bought it, perhaps because it's not summer? But the week before that we did S'mores and people created a cult over that one, and they keep coming back for it!

This weekend I"m doing The Vermont;
Maple walnut ice cream
maple syrup
walnuts (optional)
whipped cream
choco-dipped pecan shortbread cookie.

Any ideas for future ice creams? I hate ice cream, (yes, I hate it) so I'm not one for trying it and figuring out cool combos, but for you ice cream lovers out there.... HELP! What would YOU like to see on a menu?

17 replies
Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 18

Oh..........that would be such a dangerous job for me icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, we went to a fall festival yesterday and they had "Caramel Apple Pie Sundaes" icon_eek.gif my DH and I shared 1 and than we shared another one, it was sooo good!

Basically it was French Vanilla Ice Cream topped with a warm apple pie filling (kind of like the canned apple pie filling stuff), drizzled with caramel, topped off with whipped cream, and pecans. Oh, I almost forgot the best part, it was served in a bowl that had a pie crust in it. icon_smile.gif

I'm a chocoholic though so my all time favorite is a brownie sundae, with a good fudge brownie as the base.

MystiqueFire Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #3 of 18

oh my.... that does sound good!! (writing that recipe down...)

I reinstituted brownie sundae to the menu starting today, for some reason it was missing!! And I sold a bunch of them! I couldn't believe it was missing from there! What's an ice cream shop without brownie sundaes? Considering I've been to an ice cream shop maybe twice before... dont know if they're common in those establishments, but I'd figure, right?

Any more ideas, guys?

icon_rolleyes.gif I hate ice cream... but i love brownies....

uh, oh.

veejaytx Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:09am
post #4 of 18

Not a sundae, but I love ice cream sandwiches, made with cookies, brownies, etc. Might be something you could do and have on hand in the freezer.

I'm an absolute ice cream-aholic, will take it in any form or fashion at any time! Would love your job, but wouldn't make any money at it at all. LOL

jen1977 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 18

Snickers Sundae! Vanilla icecrem, caramel, hot fudge, Snickers pieces, whipped cream, and a cherry. There's a frozen custard place here that makes a caramel apples sundae wit hhomemade caramel and apple bits in it. Also, anything with chocolate and peanut butter together...maybe peanut butter, hot fudge, Reese's cups.

dinas27 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 18

One of my favorite combinations is coconut and raspberry.

You could do macaroons with coconut or vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce.

The Vermont sounds fabulous by the way!

Other ideas
Cinnamon bun - fresh mini cinammon buns with vanilla ice cream and cinnamon pecan sauce

Candy Apple - caramel and stewed apples over vanilla ice cream - crunchy toffee/caramel pieces

Mississippi Mud pie?

Black forest cake

German chocolate cake

littlecake Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 18

i wish i hated ice cream...i'd be about 30 pounds thinner.

since someone atready said peanut butter and chocolate.

i'm thinking pina colada....yummy....i wonder if that might be a summer type treat too?

it sounds like you really got a cool job(pun intended)...is it like a mom and pop place?

punkinpie Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 18

I asked my DH for ideas. He is a coffee nut so he suggested something based on a popular coffee drink. Maybe a latte or something like that. Coffee ice cream chocolate or caramel drizzle whip cream etc. I'm guessing you don't have coffee ice cream though.

Loving all of the ideas. I too love ice cream. Wishing I had some in the freezer right now.

MystiqueFire Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 18

OOOOooh these ideas are awesome!! Thanks guys!! I didn't think of the caramel apple, even tho it's the perfect time of year for it. I'm looking for a halloween sundae to do, but I've come up with pumpkin ice cream, chocolate dip (so it will harden but still have the flavor of chocolate...) white cotton candy and a spider on top, like a spider web, but I think that sounds kind of corny, no?

I love all the ideas everyone's given, and I'm writing everything down in a notebook for work.

Yes, we do have Coffee Ice cream by the way, and Yeah it's a mom and pop place.

We actually have mississippi mud pie ice cream and i tried it tonight and I have to stay away from it... i actually LOVE it!! The last pint of that bucket is coming home with me!!!

jen1977 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #10 of 18

Have you tried looking at the menus of other ice cream places? Ritters Frozen Custard has some great sundaes, and their menu is posted online.

MystiqueFire Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:47am
post #11 of 18

I've looked at some big names like ben and Jerrys and Serendipity 3 but nothing really sparked an interest. =/ I'll have to check out Ritters, tho, since I've never heard of them.

dinas27 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 18
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

OOOOooh these ideas are awesome!! Thanks guys!! I didn't think of the caramel apple, even tho it's the perfect time of year for it. I'm looking for a halloween sundae to do, but I've come up with pumpkin ice cream, chocolate dip (so it will harden but still have the flavor of chocolate...) white cotton candy and a spider on top, like a spider web, but I think that sounds kind of corny, no?

I think the cotton candy and spider idea is fun... One of my ideas was 'the fair'- mini doughounts, cotton candy icecream, I wrote it and its sounded so gross but kids might go for it.

You could also do a more 'mature' sundae with ginger shortbread (add a 1/2 TBLS for every cup of flour and use brown sugar), the pumpkin icecream, rum buttersauce and fresh whipped cream, now that is what I would be ordering!

sweettoothmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 18

The halloween sounds great!

Upon reading this thread to begin with my thoughts immediately went to apple pie and apple cobbler. What abour Carmel apples I thought out loud....

I love I mean L O V E Ice cream especially chocolate chip cookie dough.
I am surprised that my behind doesnt have Ben & Jerrys stamped right on it.

You could make a holiday version of this nationwide favorite by using nestles novely shaped choco chips. They make stocking and little trees in the winter time. You could also use wiltons great holiday mix of sprinkles to dress items up real fast and easy.

What about floats? Like a warm and cold hot chocolate like float. Eggnog based ice cream, cheesecake, gingerbread. think of all your holiday favorite treats and bank on them combined with a complimentary ice cream flavor. You would be surprised how many people eat ice cream with everything!!!!

MystiqueFire Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 18

mmmm love the fair idea ;0) Maybe serve that on a funnel cake?

LOL sweettoothmom with the ben & Jerry's stamp! But I am curious, what do you mean by a cold/hot chocolate float? Chocolate ice cream in a hot cocoa mug? Yummmm

sweettoothmom Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 18

What I mean by cold/hot chocolate. is ice cream floating in hot chocolate. Like a root beer float. Yes the Ice cream will melt and the hot hocolate will get cold but you might want to serve it in small portions so that it can be devoured quickly.

MystiqueFire Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 18

Hmm... I will have to try that tonight at work! That sounds soo good! I know that cold/hot chocolate is served at Serendipity 3, in NYC, but I've never tried it. I'm curious about it though, and am wondering how to replicate it myself. Perhaps that is what they do...?

I have also discovered that the guy who makes our ice cream makes a strawberry cheesecake ice cream, with bits of cheesecake in it. I would like to turn that into a cheesecake sundae, maybe pack it into a mini pie crust..

jescapades Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #17 of 18

oh how i'd love a job like that!!! my dh loves black raspberry ice cream with peanut butter sauce - 'peanut butter and jelly'!

i love anything with bananas, coconut or chocolate and peanut butter.

check out cold stone creamery too, they have some of the coolest combinations!

MystiqueFire Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #18 of 18

PB&J..... that's a great idea!

When I have a day off next I will checkout the creamery. I started to make ice cream pies this week... with pumpkin ice cream and whipped cream in a graham cracker crust... yummm ;0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%