How To Decorate William And Sonoma Cars

Decorating By BitsnBites Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 3:52am by LoriMc

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all. I wanted to use William and Sonoma's little car molds http://cafejohnsonia.blogspot.com/2008/03/making-car-cupcakes-with-my-kids.html
but I was wondering how to decorate them. I really don't want to color the batter because I think that would look kinda boring.

Is there a way to cover them in buttercream or fondant and still have the shape and details come through?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/img]

3 replies
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 4

Good luck with that... Someone gave me that pan for Christmas two years ago and I have never used it for that reason. I don't cover cakes in fondant, but I guess you could always result to the star tip to cover them in buttercream.

Are you doing them for a customer or just for your family? I would love to know what you end up doing.

Do you think a colored poured fondant like something used on petit fours could be an option?

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 4

I want to make them for my son's 2nd birthday. Yeah, maybe the smallest star tip could be useful.

Actually the poured fondant sounds good. I don't have the pan, I was planning on getting it just for this. But now I'm not so sure.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #4 of 4

Make sure you look at the actual pan before you buy it. Each train car is very small....barely bigger than a cupcake. I could easily eat a whole one at one sitting! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%