Storing Gumpaste Figures?

Decorating By lhayes1976 Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 1:02am by superstar

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make some practice figures for an upcoming baby shower cake. Can you make your gumpaste figures ahead of time and store? If so, how long will they keep?

2 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 3

We've just been practicing making gumpaste figures for a few weeks now. In fact, just this morning I picked them up to examine them. They still have a softness to them when compressed a little. They've just been sitting out on a foam drying pad in the kitchen.

I'd love to hear what others say about storing prepared-in-advance gumpaste figures.

Paul

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #3 of 3

A lot depends on where you live, if your climate is very humid, everything takes longer to dry & I have found I add a lot more Tylose to get anything to stand up to dampness, After everything has dried I can place items in an airtight container with bags of Silica crystals in the containers. This draws out any moisture there is. I also have a couple of disposable de-humidifiers in my workshop to absorb the moisture. If you live in a dry climate, there is no problem, items will dry & keep for years in a regular box. My granddaughter still has the roses from her wedding cake, made 19 years ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%