Dropped Off My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By Lynnzee Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm by Charmaine49

Lynnzee Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so this was not the first wedding cake that I have ever made, but this is the first that I was not there to see the bride and groom take a look at it. (my others had been for people that I knew prior). This was the first time I had a real Consultation. I have to say that I was a little sad to walk away from it and just leave it there. I know it sounds silly!! I came home and tried to expain this to my DH and he just made fun of me. LOL. So I figured that you all may be able to relate. I was very excited about this cake. The coordinators assistant was there and she oooood and aaaahd about it. I guess I will just have to wait until after the Honeymoon for an email from the bride, if she gets around to it letting me know what she thought. Does anyone else feel like this when they drop off a wedding cake or am I just STRANGE!!!!??? icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
KHalstead Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 10

I hate waiting to find out if they liked it or not......I try not to think about it and use the rule of thumb of NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS...but it still stinks.
I have had ONE bride call the NIGHT of her wedding (couldn't believe it) just to tell me how much she LOVED her cake
One bride emailed me the day after
One bride called me the day after
All the rest............NADA
Sometimes I get referrals so I have to assume since they told someone that they loved it.....or I'll hear from someone that attended the wedding that wants to order ....but mostly the brides don't get back to you so don't feel bad if they NEVER get back to you. If they weren't happy.......YOU'LL HEAR ABOUT IT!!!!!

Charmaine49 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 10

Lynnzee, don't feel bad.........I feel exactly like that too.
I did a 4 tier seashell wedding cake yesterday and all the people working at the venue wanted to know if I made that cake. When I finished it, I couldn't stop looking and would have given anything to be a "fly on the wall" when the bride and groom came to see their cake. She bought the topper and made the seashells for the cake.
When it was time to leave (hubby was getting impatient) I just stood and looked, went back and looked again and just about had to tear myself away from "my cake". Haven't had any feedback as yet, but she promised to come and show me her wedding photos once she got back from honeymoon.
So, you see, we cake ladies are all on the same level....a different level to what men are on. They don't understand how we feel about the end result of our creations.

cas17 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

yep, i feel the same way. it's my "baby" and although i want them to have it i still have a moment when it's hard to walk away. i need to know if they really love the cake we designed together or not. isn't this a big reason we do cakes? for our own personal artistic/creative expression and the emotions and happiness we (hopefully) create in others? it is at least for me. i feel so anxious until i hear something from them. even a text message would be okay, lol.

superstar Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 10

Lynzee & Charmaine, where are the pictures of these two cakes?????

Charmaine49 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 10

Superstar............you may well ask. I have been battling since Sunday to get my picture uploaded here on CC. There seems to be some problem as everytime I upload, it doesn't "connect" and tells me there is no photo to upload. I am not the only one with this problem, there have been others and there was a thread going in the forum about this. But, I will try again this morning and see if I can have any luck......

Lynnzee Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

the cake is still in the camera. I have been sneaking on cakecenteral during work and I can not upload pics on my work computer. I will add it to my profile.

superstar Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 10

I have now seen Charmaine's cake....beautiful, & I am waiting for Lynzee's cake.

janebrophy Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 10

Beautiful job charmaine! I love it! lynnzee, let us know when yours is up! I too hate to leave the cake without the "main" people seeing it! I have been fortunate enough to get Thank-you cards in the mail, and that is way more than I ever hope for!

Charmaine49 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 10

Superstar, Jane, thank you both for your comments..... you don't know how proud this makes me feel.

To be honest, I was pretty proud of the end result of this cake and kept going back to have another look, cause I didn't want to leave it there. But, it wasn't for me and I had to leave it there.

The bride did at least phone me last night to thank me for the wonderful cake and said she had eaten some of it and it was wonderful.......phew!! I sighed a sigh of relief when she said that!

Lynnzee.......whats going on??
we are all dying to see your cake and you are keeping us all on a leash!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%