Anyone Else Short On Counter Space At Home?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm by Swede-cakes

kellertur Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:22am
post #1 of 4

I'm an at-home-decorator, and was wondering if anyone else is (or was) short on counter space and how you handled this. I'm still in the beginning stages of my business, not sure how serious I want to become. However, I struggle with space constantly. We cannot afford a remodel (infact, we are going to be looking into selling/buying a new home when the economy is better).

I was thinking of bringing in collapsible table while decorating. The only problem with that is storage (health codes, etc)... small house. I love decorating from home without the added expense of overhead.
Can anyone offer ideas, etc?

Our next home is going have MILES of counter space if I can help it.

thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
tcbalgord Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

I use my kitchen table and folding tables. As for storing them; while I am cursed with counter space I am bless with cuboard and closet space, so I wash the folding tables down with bleach, both after I use them and then when I pull them back outta the closet.
Also it helps me to do this in stages. One day I bake, and make all of the frosting I will need, then another I decorate.

HTH and good luck!

solascakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 4

I have exactly the same problem, in fact it's so bad that if i have a 14" cake to cover in fondant,it terrorizes me cos i just dont have the space to roll it out but i struggle anyway.I have ordered a folding table, so i hope that will help and after i can fold and store away in a corner.I live in England so that will give you an idea of hopw small houses are here.

Swede-cakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 4

I feel ya! I found that once my cake, turntable, blades, and tool box and stuff on the kitchen island, I felt crowded. So I went to Target and bought a white plastic 3-drawer vertical storage bin thing that's on wheels. I organized everything in there (tools, bags, boards, whatever) and put the tool box on top. Now I just keep it in the corner of the dining room until I need it, then just wheel it into the kitchen to be right next to me at the island. It gives me so much more elbow room and organization!

Quote by @%username% on %date%