Storing Cakes

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm by mcdonald

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:31am
post #1 of 2

Hi again!

Im making a chocolate sponge with malteser buttercream on the top and middle for my nieces birthday on tuesday. How far in advance can i make it up iced? Should i keep it just in an airtight container or should i put it in the fridge in an airtight container? I read that because of the high fat content, buttercream does not go off very fast but i don't want my sponge to go dry either as the sides will be exposed.

Also, if i completely cover a sponge (sandwiched with buttercream) in fondant how long will it last for? Will the buttercream and sponge stay fresh for longer because it is sealed? and how should i store it- i.e. in the fridge or just a container.

Sorry for so many questions at once, but there are so many different opinions in books on this and i want to try and plan how long i can make things in advance! Many thanks in advance!!

1 reply
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 2

not sure what type of icing you are referring to but anything covered in fondant is usually "sealed" tight for a few days. I have never covered a sponge cake before and not sure if it would hold up under the weight of the fondant.. I might be wrong though.

If you are wanting to freeze your cake once iced, you can do that by wrapping the box you will have it in, with several layers of plastic wrap and then with foil. You don't want to do this with the fondant on it though. You would want to bring back to room temp and then cover in fondant.

You can put a covered fondant cake in the fridg if you have a certain type of fondant... Santin Ice and Fondx I believe can be put in frig. You might also try raising the temp some in the frig so it's not so cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%