Freshness.... Help Please

Decorating By sarand Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm by dlmtdm

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:18am
post #1 of 7

Hi All, I was not sure which room to post this question.

I have made a medira sponge with buttercream and covered it in Icing, the design in dennis the menace, Can any one tell me the best way to store this cake and how long will it last for?

I have done a stupid thing and mixed my dates up and made it this weekend and the cake is not wanted until 18th october... Aghhhhhh

this cake took me ages to make... I could kick myself now.

Any advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks for reading
sarah

6 replies
TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:49am
post #2 of 7

Gosh, I have no idea! I just wanted you to know I read it and would have helped if I had any clue what to tell you icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:59am
post #3 of 7

Madeira cake can usually be kept 10-14 days if covered with sugarpaste, or if wrapped tightly and stored in a tin. Are you going to cover in paste? If it has only a buttercream covering, you are going to lose a few days...although I don't know how much.
Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:43am
post #4 of 7

Lindy Smith says 2 weeks - 1 week for decorating and 1 week for eating, so I think you'll be OK!

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

oh thanks all, my problem is the cake has took ages to make as it is one from Debbie Browns book it Dennis the menace in a bush with pea shooter... Ive enjoyed making to but really dont want to do it agian.

its a ball cake covered in buttercream then sugarpaste leaves all over. I really hope this will be ok as its my first cake ive made for someone out side my family.... lol no pressure.

sarah

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 7

I've never tried it, but maybe you could freeze it and take it out the day before you decorate it. Good luck princess.gif

dlmtdm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlmtdm Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 7

I think it will be ok if you keep it refrigerated as long as it stays cool I think it will be fine! CONGRATS on your first "outside of the family" cake. I understand the stress trust me you will be fine. LOL! I have that stress everytine I make a cake for anyone. Once it's delivered and I see everyone likes it then that's when I usually calm down, but I love doing it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%