What Cake Flavor For Mexican Chocolate Filling?

Decorating By sillyjodes Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm by sayhellojana

sillyjodes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:39am
post #1 of 10

I just came up with a very yummy mexican chocolate filling, but I'm unsure of the cake to pair it with. I'm afraid chocolate cake would water down the intense flavor. However, I am thinking white cake would be too much of a juxtaposition.
I also want to thank everyone for the help and ideas I've found here. This is an priceless source of info for me!

9 replies
Jopalis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:14am
post #2 of 10

How about Spice Cake... Whimsical Bakehouse has a great one I just recently made.... Pat

aztomcat Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:26am
post #3 of 10

Living in the heart of Mexican choc heaven as I do in Tucson AZ.

The pairing would be basic either white or plain chocolate cake. You want to be able to taste the cinnamon in the chocolate filling. So you don't want to overpower it with a too "flavorful" cake.

I think a sour cream almond white cake or a dark chocolate cake would be perfect to allow the filling to stand out.

Please share your recipe with us. I will definitely use it.

Dee in AZ

sillyjodes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:26am
post #4 of 10

I'll try to work up the recipe tomorrow. I kind-of did a little of this a little of that, so I'm going to try a repeat and actually measure this time!

sillyjodes Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #5 of 10

Ok, here's the recipe I came up with:

1/3 C Hersey's Dark Cocoa
1/2 C sugar
Pinch Salt
4C 1% milk
1t Vanilla
1/2 t Saigon Cinnamon
pinch Ancho Chili Powder
1/4C Cornstarch

Mix Cocoa, sugar, salt in small saucepan. Add milk, vanilla, Cinnamon and Chili powder. Warm over low heat and mix often. When combined, add cornstarch and bring to a low boil for 1 min or until desired consistency is achieved.
This needs to be refrigerated, because of the milk.

aztomcat Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:11am
post #6 of 10

Thanks. Guess the secret ingredient is the chili powder. You should post it in the recipes section as well.

Can't wait to try it.

sayhellojana Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:45am
post #7 of 10
sillyjodes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:58am
post #8 of 10

Oh, I can't wait to try the cinnamon vanilla cake. I'll have to get to it this weekend.

calivettie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:30am
post #9 of 10

wow thanks for posting.. this sounds delicious

sayhellojana Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

I made it for my dad for fathers day, he really enjoyed it. It has a good texture considering its made with all-purpose flour, I've made it a few times since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%