How Do You Get Rid Of Shiny Spots On Dark Fondant.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 4

I am in the process of making a cake which is covered in chocolate SatinIce, so dark chocolate brown. I have had to store the cake in the fridge which normally is not a problem when using other colours. But I find with the chocolate fondant that I get shiny spots, perhaps where I have accidently touched the cake.

Is there any way of getting rid of the shiny spots? I am a bit afraid of using cornstarch on the dark cake, don't want to end up with white patches either.

I did a cake before which had the same problem and I did not really notice it too much seeing the cake itself but the pictures of it are dreadful. I really want this cake to look good so I can get a good shot of it before handing it over.

3 replies
dellboi2u Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 4

I have used corn starch to get the shiny spots, but then I airbrush the cake with vodka to get rid of the white marks, I don't know if you have access to an airbrusher though.... If you can't do anything, I find that if you turn your flash off on your camera to take the pictures, it doesn't make the pictures look bad. I know what you mean though.... sometimes pictures show FAR more than the eye can see!!

kakedecorator Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #3 of 4

I take a small ball of SatinIce and "buff" the cake with it. Just hold it in your hand and flatten one side and rub it over the cake (buff).

BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for great advice! I will try both and hopefully get rid of those pesky spots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%