My First Wedding And I Made The Bride Cry! (Ode To Tonedna)

Decorating By Win Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm by angelatx

Win Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 13

Today was my FIRST wedding!!! This bride was my SIL's sister's second marriage so she wanted to stay away from the formality of the traditional wedding cakes, etc. She was rather vague about what she wanted but knew it was a cupcake tower... she pretty much let me run with it from that point on. I knew she and her daughters were carrying roses so I set out to make my first crafted from gum paste! I want to thank Edna (a.k.a. Tonedna) for her awesome YouTube Tutorials!!! As well, she was so kind to answer additional questions for me over the course of my experiment. I RARELY do this, but am providing the link to the finished product because I am so thrilled with Edna's roses!

Anyway, as I was finishing the set-up and preparing to leave, the bride returned from having her hair done, etc. When she saw the "cake" she cried. She was estatic with her cupcake tower!!!

This was a good day! Thanks for letting me preen a little. icon_redface.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1274849

12 replies
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #2 of 13

WOW!!! What an awesome display ! Yes Ya cant help but love Edna! She is a sweetheart!!
I would love to know how to do the hand-dyed crystals, what a nice look!

tiggy2 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 13

Your roses are beautiful! You did a great job on displaying the cupckaes.

mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 13

You certainly done a wonderful job!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I love the way you displayed the cupcakes. The idea of the eternity cake!! Beautiful roses too!!! I love it!!

CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #5 of 13

Well preen all you want, that's very lovely!! Your roses are awesome!! I'm pretty impressed, AND it gives me hope. I want to learn to do roses so bad.

Win Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:24am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I would love to know how to do the hand-dyed crystals, what a nice look!

Depending on the number of cupcakes... (I needed about five pounds of rock candy and found a good price via Internet ordering.) About two days ahead of when you need them, hand-dye by pouring Vodka into a bowl and tinting as desired. Start out with the lighter colors, first then increase intensity. Dip the rock candy via strainer per Elisa Strauss' instructions; however, I found it was just as easy to dump them into the coloring, then pour them through a strainer --could get more done that way. That process required two bowls but really cut down on time involved. After removing them the dye, lay them out in a single layer on parchment paper to dry (that's where the two days in advance comes in.) Also, I found that they fade as they dry, so don't be afraid to go a little darker than you think you should go.

The roses come out pinker in the photo than were truly. They were actually more of a wine color. I actually used red wine as one of the petal dusts when coloring. And, the cupcake seems more orange than was in reality. icon_rolleyes.gif

edited for a typo

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 13

Thanks so much !

dragonflydreams Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:31am
post #8 of 13

. . . your roses/cupcake tower is fabulous . . . and I am happy to see the instructions for the dyed rock candy . . . I'll have to keep that in mind . . . thanx for sharing . . . thumbs_up.gif

suzie1962 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 13

Your cupcake tower is really beautiful!! What did you use for the greenery?

BabyBear3 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 13

wow!!!! for a first time, that was awesome! I'm very impressed icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 13

You did a SUPER job! Congratulations!

We were fortunate to be introduced to cake decorating in a more professional method from Edna. She was a GREAT instructor!

Glad all of you throughout the country are enjoying her YouTube videos.

Paul & Peter

Win Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Your cupcake tower is really beautiful!! What did you use for the greenery?

Those are hydrangeas which have faded from vivid blue to that beautiful green and burgundy... I have a large bush in my garden and cut multitudes for the wedding. I also placed them in large bouquets on the serving table and the outside individual dining tables. For outside, they were submerged in hurricane globes, filled with water and topped off with ivory floating candles. It was a pretty effect.

angelatx Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 13

I love your roses, they are so very prettifamous!! i haven't attempted gumpaste roses, but gee i sure hope mine come out half as good. Congratulations Win! its pretty!icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%