Bc Roses.... Ugh!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm by l80bug79

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone else have this problem: I can't get my roses to look like roses! They look more like carnations! They edges are ruffled looking, instead of being smooth. Anyone know how I can remedy this??

14 replies
bamber127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamber127 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 15

What type of bc are you using? I found that if it is all shortening it tends to be rougher edges. Wilton sells bc icing in a can that makes a smooth rose.

Maybe try mixing butter and shortening for the bc recipe?

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 15

I've taught Wilton classes before, sometime's it's the consistency of the icing. Maybe add ever so slightly water to adjust the stiff consistency. You still want it stiff but that's why the edges crack.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 15

your tip might be to tight....open it up a little

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 15

I have the same problem. I use 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter in my icing. Even when I took the Wilton classes and used the class buttercream, my roses still came out ruffly!! I'd love to know the solution to this one, too!! icon_cry.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #6 of 15

What littlecake said is most likely your problem. Take a flat screwdriver and open up just a little the narrow end of the rose tip, this should help. BTW I don't change consistency of my icing from one application to another I make medium stiff consistency and use it for everything. icing, writing, borders, roses, it is much less time consuming. I use my bc icing its a little different than most others, check it out, its in the recipe section. It's called Jibbies white velvet buttercream.

Jibbies

Launa Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #7 of 15

Thanks, Jibbies, I'll give it a try!

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks all! I'll be sure to try these suggestions!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

What littlecake said is most likely your problem. Take a flat screwdriver and open up just a little the narrow end of the rose tip, this should help. BTW I don't change consistency of my icing from one application to another I make medium stiff consistency and use it for everything. icing, writing, borders, roses, it is much less time consuming. I use my bc icing its a little different than most others, check it out, its in the recipe section. It's called Jibbies white velvet buttercream.

Jibbies

I am also rose challenged. I tried looking up Jibbies icing recipe but it appears blank. Is it just me or is there only a heading on that recipe page?

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 15

I was going to give a try to jibbies bc, but I got a blank page on her recipe too. ...? icon_surprised.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

BTW I don't change consistency of my icing from one application to another I make medium stiff consistency and use it for everything. icing, writing, borders, roses, it is much less time consuming.

me too. I use one recipe, one consistency. Heck, I hate taking the time to change icing bags, let alone making 2 or 3 different icings! icon_lol.gif

Launa Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:21am
post #12 of 15

Jibbies recipe was blank for me too, but then I clicked on the "printer friendly version" button and it came up just fine.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #13 of 15

I also use a medium-stiff consistency as well, I also add Piping gel to my icing when I make it. This tends to help. I add 1 tablespoon of the piping gel to my shortening mixture for a 6 cup batch when I start my icing. HTH

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #14 of 15

I get your point....but I actually made these ruffly on purpose!

I think I was trying to go for that "Victorian" look.

I, too, think that if you need absolutely perfect, non-ruffly roses....Wilton Buttercream works perfectly.
LL

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

I was going to give a try to jibbies bc, but I got a blank page on her recipe too. ...? icon_surprised.gif

open up the "printer friendly" page. there's something wrong with the recipes i think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%