Wilton Icing Colors...there's A Problem!!!

Decorating By parismom Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 1:54am by PSLCakeLady

parismom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #1 of 4

I have used wilton colors for a while, it is the only brand that is convenient to buy in my area. The one other place that offers the other brands takes forever to get there, so that's what I use and why. Basically, I haven't had any issues with it till recently. I got the rose and violet colors, and I have used the violet before, and I usually used the pink but this time needed it darker, so rose worked - Anyway my point is, these new colors I got seem to have a very distinct bitter taste. That classic 'red food color' taste. I know they make 'no taste red', but obviously they are using the bitter tasting red type when they make violet and rose. Has this always been the case, or have they changed their little 'recipe' for the colors? It is almost unbearable, I really am not sure I want to make anything for people when it has such an unpleasant bitter undertone just b/c of the color - it almost ruins any recipe! I really have never had this problem until I just bought those two specific colors this week.

Any tips, suggestions... or ideas? I know Wlton isn't 'the best' but - is there a way to mask that taste? Anything I can do? icon_sad.gif

Any comments appreciated!

Thank you!

3 replies
parismom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 4

anyone?

lvspaisley Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 4

I've actually noticed this too. I had to buy some new Wilton pink color this week because mine was dried up and glycerin didn't bring it back. I used just a touch of it to make a light pink and it was NASTY. I am not sure if they have changed their formula or what, but if I were you, I'd go to www.wilton.com and post the question there as well as maybe contact them by phone.

PSLCakeLady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

Hey, sorry you are having this problem, but the answer is not good. Wilton has great products but if you want to achieve a vibrant color, once you exceed a certain amount it will get bitter. I guess that's why they came up with "no taste red" because Wilton knows the problem exists. At any rate, you'll do yourself a huge favor by getting Americolor's Super Red and other colors because without fail the will not give you that taste and I think you'll be impressed with the color too. I don't work for the company but used to sell it in a store I used to own and I swear by em'. I still use some Wilton colors but if I need to get brilliant colors with no taste, Wilton is not always the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%