Stupid Question About Mixing Gumpaste And Mmf.

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 12:02am by mellormom

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 18

I need a bow for next weekend, and I wanted to try a mixture of MMF and gumpaste. I have done a bow with each one seperately. The MMF took forever to dry and the gumpaste seemed very brittle.

Do I just mix up each recipe then knead equal parts together? If I want my bow to be brown, when would you add the coloring?

Thanks!

17 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 18

Try a mixture of 60% gum paste and 40% MMF (eyeball it). It makes a mixture that is very easy to work with and will dry in a reasonable time. Add your color as you are kneading them together. HTH

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 18

I was just wondering if this could be done. Thanks for posting the question lapazlady. And thanks for answering LoriMc.
icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks!

What's the best thing to hang them on to dry? Last time I used the fattest broomstick I could find. Does something fatter make the loops look better?

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 18

I've used a broom stick and another time, doweling. The size is really determined by the size of the loop you're making. Make up a loop in the shape you want and see what size makes it look best, that will determine the size of the doweling you hang the loop on to dry. Bigger is not always better. Loops are fun to make.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 18

You can roll up a handful of tissues and then put the bow around that. You just lay the bow down on wax paper and let it dry. The tissue makes the bow nice and round or you can flatten it a little for a longer thinner look. Takes up a lot less space than a dowel or broom handle. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

You can roll up a handful of tissues and then put the bow around that. You just lay the bow down on wax paper and let it dry. The tissue makes the bow nice and round or you can flatten it a little for a longer thinner look. Takes up a lot less space than a dowel or broom handle. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

So you're saying I as soon as I cut the loop out of the fondant, wrap it around tissue paper and wet the ends and attach them?

I like the fatter loops that are more round than long. Mine always seem to look more oval and flat. So maybe I am not making them long enough?

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 18

www.theredhotkitchen.com/PackageBowInstructions.html

Take a look at this way of making a bow. And, on the main page of CC, about 1/2 way down, is directions for making another style bow.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 18

Try setting the loops on their edges to dry--stand them up, rather than lay them on the flat side. You can then adjust the shape to suit you, and you don't need to stuff them with anything.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys.

My gumpaste mix says to take 1 cup of the mix and add water. A cup of gumpaste with a little over a cup of MMF will be enough don't you think?

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 18

A cup of gumpaste and 1/2 a cup of ready to go MMF is about right. Mix your gumpaste and allow it to sit, in an air tight container, over night (8-10 hrs will do) and they eye ball the amount a medium lump of gumpaste and less of MMF. Knead them together with the color. Have fun.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 18

Somebody else on here said 60% MMF and 40% gumpaste. Is there really gonna be a difference?

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 18

The more MMF you add the longer it will take for the bow to dry. I believe 50/50 is the usual amount. I try to do 60/40 to insure a quick, hard product. I amount you add is really a personal choice.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 18

I have about six days for it to dry......hopefully that will be enough!

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 18

2-3 days usually do the trick. You'll do just fine.

LoriMc Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks!

lapazlady Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #17 of 18

Your welcome. Have fun.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:02am
post #18 of 18

So you're saying I as soon as I cut the loop out of the fondant, wrap it around tissue paper and wet the ends and attach them?

That is what Peggy Porchen says to do in her book. (sorry I can't spell her last name.) It works for me every time. You can just eyeball the mixture. It will work even if it is not exact. Mine usually dry within a few days.
I don't put the big loops on there side because the tops sag. But the tiny ones I put on there side and that works great for those.
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%