I Am New

Decorating By lukenmedifsmom Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm by Mommagaz

lukenmedifsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukenmedifsmom Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 22

Hey all!! I am new to this site. My name is Brooke and I'm 25 years old. I want to learn how to make yummy cakes and decorate them. My best friend and I decorated my daughters cake last year for her 2nd bday. We used canned Icing and thickened it up with powdered sugar. It was good but it felt like we cheated. lol!! icon_smile.gif So I wanted to know if yall could help me get started?!

Thanks,
Brooke

PS~Here is the link to my photobucket Album and the pics of the cake me and my BF decorated!!
http://s405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/lukenmedifsmom/

21 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 22

Hi and Welcome to CC, lukenmedifsmom. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:
(Has cake and frosting recipes, and SO much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about meringue b/c's (and other frostings):
(With personal taste opinions and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626-.html

Look forward to seeing your creations!

HTH

lukenmedifsmom Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks soooo much!!! I can't wait to read through everything!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 22

You're very welcome, lukenmedifsmom. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 22

Hi Brooke! Welcome to CC, better known as your new addiction! icon_lol.gif I would suggest looking through the galleries for ideas of cakes you want to try and pick one that is simple (I know, HARD to do!) icon_biggrin.gif Ask questions, search the forums and as one big name told me, practice practice practice!! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

CaitlinC412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaitlinC412 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 22

Hi Brooke! Welcome to CC icon_smile.gif I'm new at this too and I am certifiably insane, and I blame this website, haha. Cheers!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 22

Welcome !! This is a GREAT place to learn new things and share
ideas with others! You will love it !! icon_biggrin.gif

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 22

Hi Brooke,
Welcome to CC, you're going to love it here. Happy baking/ decorating, can't wait to see what you create.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 22

Hi Brooke! Welcome! Glad to have you. Happy Decorating!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 22

Welcome Brooke!

Ask specific questions, we are all here to help!

Jen icon_smile.gif

lukenmedifsmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #11 of 22

Thank you all so much for such a warm welcome!!!

Can anyone give me some simple recipes for cakes and for BC? Thanks so much.

Also, anything extra that you think I might not know I probably don't so feel free to give me as much advice as you'd like!!! The only cakes I have ever made were out of a box and I have never even seen a recipe for BC so I am a true beginner.

CaitlinC412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaitlinC412 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 22

In addition to the recipe search here, I use AllRecipes.com to find from-scratch cake recipes. It's wonderful because you're allowed to post pictures of the recipe and write reviews and ratings - I have yet to encounter a bad cake from that site icon_smile.gif As far as BC goes, my personal fave is "Julie's Less-Sweet Buttercream" from this site (just go to the Recipes tab up top and search). Happy baking icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 22

try the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) cake recipe. It is a great recipe for beginners and it comes with variations.

the recipes on CC seem to be lost right now, but you can find it at

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 22

Check the recipe forums -- there's every kind of cake and frosting recipe available! icon_biggrin.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 22

Hi and welcome!

I can tell ya that you will definitely get addicted to this site!! It's great! I also use the recipes and forums for just about everything. As well as using allrecipes.com they are both wonderful!!!

One thing I will recommend to you is that if you really want to do successful stacked(tiered) cakes get you a set of the SugarShacks DVDs!!! Sharon is awesome and makes it easy to stack and ice cakes! I got her DVDs and they are like the bible now to me!!! She has a DVD for how to ice a cake with buttercream icing, she has one for fondant covering, and one for successfull stacking. She is also in the process of coming out with more! Which I am waiting with baited breath for!!!!

Don't ever be afraid to ask! We all love to help each other be succesful! i myself have asked many questions and have only had the warmest reception from fellow cc'rs.

Welcome again!
Happy caking!
MommaKristin

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 22

Hi Brooke,

The #1 most important thing I first picked up here is that you must use a "crusting" buttercream if you want to be able to really smooth it. You can use Viva papertowels and they will not stick if you let the icing crust. Some people also use a sponge-type paint roller rolled gently over the crusted icing. Canned icing does not crust, so you can never get the same results.
I second the opinion on Sugarshack's DVD's - amazing!
Good luck, and have fun!
~Julie

lukenmedifsmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks!! I did try the recipes here earlier and they weren't fully loading. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or not! icon_smile.gif

What would you recommend for me to try for my first cake? All the info is a little overwhelming!! lol!!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 22

HI Brooke! Welcome to the site! You will LOVE it and it is truly addicting! There are many great recipes to choose from and many galleries with fabulous cakes that you can get ideas from! Everyone is very helpful, so just ask any questions that you may have...they will get answered! Good Luck princess.gif

lukenmedifsmom Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:37am
post #19 of 22

Thanks!!! I have decided on the first cake I want to try!!! I am so excited!!!

Kissycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kissycake Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 22

Hi Brooke! I'm new to the site too and totally addicted!! icon_lol.gif I've tried the WASC cake - it is delicious! And Sharon aka Sugarshack totally rocks! I love, love, love her recipe for BC and her DVD's have helped me so much! I've also been inspired by so many great designs and amazing cake artists on this site. It's great! Welcome!

Kristi

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #21 of 22

hi brooke!! welcome. you will love this site. the people on here are soooooooo super nice and so willing to help us new ones. so happy decorating!!! have a great day everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mommagaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommagaz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #22 of 22

Welcome I am new to the site to but not so new to cake decorating. I have been decorating for a 5 years. I am self taught. I by no means are as good as some of these fine decorators, but i hold my own. I have learned so much since i started hangging around this place lol icon_lol.gif . It is truely addicting. Practice Practice is my biggest advice for you. When I first started cake decorating I went to Sam's club and ordered a case of vanilla 1/2 sheet cakes pre baked (around $20.00) (you can also buy round cakes and other flavors as well) and quarted them and just practiced decorating on them (my family loved it cause everytime someone came over i sent a mini cake home with them). I just didnt see the point in making a fancy cake just to practice on (too expensive). You must learn the viva paper towel method for smothing cakes. Good luck If ever need help feel free to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%