Royal Icing Up To My Ears!!!

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm by msulli10

tanyascakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hey, everyone. I was just having one of those days when I thought I could quietly mix up a batch of RI to have to use for next week when I want to make up some flowers. Well, Instead of adding the 4 1/2 tsp of meringue powder, I somehow used 4 1/2 Tbsp!!! icon_eek.gif Can you see where I am going?? Thank God I had enough powdered sugar here to make the 4x's larger batch that I was going to be stuck making. I would have had to throw it all out if not. I would have just scrapped it, but it was the last of the meringue powder that I had on hand. Believe me, I was wondering why I was running out this time!!!! It was so funny, you should have seen me scrambling to make sure I had enough PS!!! Now I have 2 big bowls of the stuff in my fridge and I am thinking "when the heck am I ever going to need that much RI??" But at least I won't have to mix any up for quite awhile since it last for months covered in the fridge. I will just have to keep hubby and kids out of it. So if you need a good laugh, think of me screeching into the abinets and pantry in search of PS!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
LoriMc Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 4

What's your normal recipe? 4 1/2 T doesn't seem like a lot of meringue powder to me. I usually do 3T of MP and 4 c of powdered sugar. That only makes enough to fill a small cool whip container.

tanyascakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 4

It is just that I don't use royal that often. Since I have moved I have only made a couple of cake here and that was for a gp/fondant class. So I wound up filling up the medium bowl in my wilton 3 bowl set and a smaller bowl with it. It whipped up pretty fluffy, though. It was really only a problem because it was the last MP I had and that I didn't know if I had enough PS. It was just a day I was having.

msulli10 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

You can always make cookies and decorate them. Royal icing will keep at room temperate. Just make sure that it is sealed air tight and put press some plastic wrap onto the icing before you cover the container. Restir when you want to use it.
You can also make lots of flowers - they will last forever once dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%