3" Magic Line Pans...help Is Appreciated!

Decorating By adamt01 Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm by adamt01

adamt01 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 16

So...I'm doing my first wedding cake as a gift to my brother and soon-to-be SIL. By offering to do this I convinced my husband to let me buy some new pans, and even my new KA mixer I've been bugging him for the past year. icon_biggrin.gif

I have the 3" square magic line pans in the 6", 9", and 12". The plans are currently to make each tier 6" high by baking two layers of cake. I made a test cake using the 6" pan (see my picture in the album). The second layer to the cake didn't make it and I believe it had something to do with not baking it long enough because when I turned the cake out the pan there was a big wet gooey pile of batter that came out. Which freaked me out because this has never happened before.

So here's the question....to the people who have these 3" pans...is there anything that I need to be aware of before I start baking these cakes on Tuesday? How long do these pans take to bake cakes? Does the 6" pan need a flower nail too? And most importantly, how do you stop the top edges from cooking at a faster rate? I bake all of my cakes at 325, BTW.

I would also like some opinions of this "test" cake that I made. I can take criticism, I'm a "big girl!"

Thanks in advance!

15 replies
adamt01 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 16

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 16

I think the general conscensus is that most of us really don't like the 3" deep pans because they are harder to bake it. Also, a 6" tall slice of cake has to be served on a dinner plate, not the standard dessert plate. That's why the serving charts state that they are for a 4" tall standard size cake.

To help with your specific problem, though, you're going to have to urn the temp down an "bake until done."

Some people use a heating core or flower nail, although I've never had the need for them.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 16

If you could start baking sooner I would bake sooner. You have a big learning curve here with those new pans and you need all the time you can get. You're fixing to bake a wedding cake and you are already in the tall weeds. Give yourself a big break and start ASAP.

I use the 3" pans but I don't try to bake a 3" tall cake in there. I just like the deeper sides.

Start your cake now--whatever you can do to get the ball rolling because you have major issues to overcome and produce a wedding cake too.

Another idea for you is what I mentioned earlier to Queenie--get the wilton serving chart that also lists how much cake batter to use per layer. And decide if you're really gonna go with those awkward 6" tall tiers and bake accordingly.

^^^ 2" pan chart ^^^

^^^ 3" pan chart ^^^

I use the 2" chart in my 3" pans.

Good Luck!!

JanetBme Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 16

I use the three in deep pans all the time- I love them. Always drop the temp to 325- and increase the cooking time. I use a flower nail- or two if it is a big pan. I also use the bake even strips because I think it helps keep the outside from getting too brown. Make sure you use the amount of batter the wilton list says .(if you use that link from the above post- and do the exact amount- the baking time will be right on the mark) You can always use less than the amount and bake it a 2 incher but don't use more than the amount. If you do even a cup more, it doesn't bake as perfect. If you've just switched to 3 inchers- yeah, it is going to seem like it takes 4 ever! I use the nail in even the smallest pans. When you do your first check- if it shakes at all- don't stick the knife in! If you stick the knife in to test it and it isn't close to done, it will sink.

adamt01 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 16

Wow. Thanks for that boat of confidence! You guys are making me even more nervous now!! She told me that she's not expecting perfection, so that kind of takes some of that pressure away.

But seriously...I've already made the fondant and BC needed for this cake. And the bride knows about the larger dinner plates that will be needed. The height and the shape are the only two things she's requested...and is leaving it up to me to come up with the rest of the design. And she knows that this could completely turn against her...because this cake also has to travel 200 miles icon_eek.gif!!

I'll start baking as soon as possible, though. Just in case this starts to turn into a big baking disaster. And thanks for the link to those charts, too. I'll definitely be using them!

We'll see what the weekend brings....

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #7 of 16

I'm not trying to shake you up. But I mean you said your cake flopped. I just wanted you to sort out your baking issues before you get down to the cake schedule itself. I mean your cake at 6" tall almost needs to be doweled and board-ed within each tier. I dowel at 4-5 inches.

This gives you this luxury of time. Time is your best friend right now.

Consider using three shorter cakes to get your 6"--just a thought for you.

Baking 3" tall cakes is just not real easy. So hopefully you will have that hurdle out of the way and you gotta figure out your set up.

Me? I would dowel at 3" for 6 inch tall tiers to be delivered 200 miles away. That's just me. Everybody's different.

You'll love the chart--you'll do fine.

Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #8 of 16

Don't be nervous you'll be fine.

I use 3" pans a lot. The last wedding cake I did the bride requested 6" tiers also, and yes I did get some "doubting thomases'" when I posted a question about it. Not every person wants 4" tiers and there's no reason why they can't have 6". My cake worked out great and the tall tiers looked very elegant.

The cake was the "dessert entertainment" if you will. The head waiter at the Country Club made Flaming Cherries Jubilee on the center of the dance floor and the cake was served on large square plates with the cherries and ice cream, and I had made ganache to drizzle on the plates in a fancy pattern. (It was lucky that the dessert was large, because the dinner was "country club" tiny)

I had people coming up to me saying they never saw a Wedding cake served that way, they felt like they were on a cruise.

I always use bake even strips and flower nails, even in the 6". I also bake at 325. I fill the pans 2/3 full, I don't measure the batter. The 6" takes 60 min to bake, the 10" takes 75 to 80 min. and the 14" takes about 90 to 100 min. I use 2 nails in the 14" or larger. Now you may have to adjust your cooking times if your recipe is very dense. Dense cake will take longer to bake than a lighter textured cake would take.

If you already made your icing and fondant you're in good shape. Maybe start to bake the layers tomorrow, you can wrap them well and freeze them. Also don't bake all three pans at the same time. The baking will take a LONG time. This is normal, don't try to rush it along. Don't keep opening the oven during baking.

Also, box the layers individually and assemble at the venue, that's what I did and I highly recommend it. Especially with the 200 mile drive.

Good luck!

Deb_ Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 16

Just noticed I wrote box the "layers" instead of box the "tiers", sorry it's been a long week!

adamt01 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 16
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Just noticed I wrote box the "layers" instead of box the "tiers", sorry it's been a long week!

Yeah, I caught that but completely understood what ya mean. LOL

Since I can't seem to find any kind of box in this town for these "monster" cakes, I'm using my trusty friend Rubbermaid (inverted, and by that I mean using the lid as the base and actual box part as the lid) and tons of shelf liner. It'll simply have to make do.

I'd never even dare attempt to travel with this thing already assembled. I'm actually going down there the night before - I'll have plenty of time to assemble and repair, if needed.

And thanks for those much needed tips and encouragement! I have my first of many cakes in the oven as we speak. I'll leg you guys know how this goes...

AZCakeGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 16

I've heard of people using the Rubbermaid boxes, but never tried it myself so I'm not exactly sure how well they work. If you end up being desperate for boxes, I would try your local grocery store bakery that does wedding cakes. They always have the big wedding cake boxes for people to pick up the cakes & might be willing to sell them to you if you're in a bind.

adamt01 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 16
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

I've heard of people using the Rubbermaid boxes, but never tried it myself so I'm not exactly sure how well they work. If you end up being desperate for boxes, I would try your local grocery store bakery that does wedding cakes. They always have the big wedding cake boxes for people to pick up the cakes & might be willing to sell them to you if you're in a bind.

Thanks! I'll check this out...and if not I have backup.

AZCakeGirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 16

You're welcome! That's my motto.....always have a good backup plan! icon_smile.gif

cakeschmake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 16

How does a fondant covered cake hold up traveling in a Rubbermaid container. I have never tried this, so I am curious.
The reason I as is I read on another thread where a decorator's cakes were almost melting in a plastic cake carrier, used instead of a cardboard box, and this was at home in the air conditioning! Then again, she was referring to a buttercream cake, not fondant.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 16

The container being paper or cardboard or plastic is not a suspect in a cake melting. It's the atmosphere and condition of the cake and icing.

adamt01 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #16 of 16

So...I had to come back to this thread to thank you guys so very much! With your advice, I had no problems with underbaked cakes. For some reason, the layers were showing through the fondant, but it didn't seem to show up in my pictures. And the cake traveled beautifully in my trunk without damage! And after I threatened the cleaning lady with her life for trying to turn off the air conditioning in the building, all was well. icon_smile.gif

The picture is in my photos. And I must say that it seemed like nobody knew what to do with fondant. It made me laugh just a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%