I Am New At This.....

Decorating By kbw5780 Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm by kbw5780

kbw5780 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

I am just starting to make a few cakes here and there. So far, I have only used MMF or rolled fondant. I have found that I am no good at buttercream. I just can't get the edges right and it seems like I just make a big mess. Any ideas??

Ok and I have another question and this may sound crazy.....When you make a tiered cake, do you frost the top tiers before putting them onto the cake or put them on the cake and then frost the top tiers?? And would you cover the top tiers first with fondant before putting it all together? I have made one tiered cake a couple weeks ago, and it turned out okay, but it still didn't look as 'crisp' as I would have liked....I did cover the top tier with fondant first before placing it on top of the cake that time.

This website is awesome and thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

8 replies
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 9

Hi and Welcome to CC, kbw5780. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked cake:

Everything you ever wanted to know about meringue and other b/c's:

Between these two threads, all your questions should be answered and perhaps a few you hadn't thought of.....

Look forward to seeing pics of your cakes.

angelatx Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

hi kbw!! you will love this site, everyone on here is soooo super nice and someone is always around to help you with questions. I love this place!! Enjoy your stay! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Angela icon_smile.gif

kbw5780 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 9

I tried the websites above and it doesn't take me anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

mommakristin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 9

Hey there,

My suggestions to you is that you order the Sugarshack's DVDs on using buttercream and fondant as well as the stacked DVD.

you will wonder how you ever survived without them! I do everyday!! All three DVDs make icing and stacking cakes the easiest thing to do!!!

Also don't be afraid to ask questions!!! We are all here to help each other!!!!

Happy decorating!

mommakristin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 9

I forgot to add the link to sugarshacks DVDs.

Sharon is awesome. She is the one in the videos!

I swear to you that you will be amazed!!!!

Lynnzee Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 9

A always wondered how to get buttercream to look like fondant. After watching the sugershake video's I now know!!!!! I LOVE them

JanH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by kbw5780

I tried the websites above and it doesn't take me anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

Actually, they should have taken you to other CC threads addressing your questions... (But the stacked/tiered cake thread was the wrong thread #.)

Here's the correct link:

First link is for CC acronyms, the third link is about the meringue b/c's; both of these are the correct links and all (even the incorrect link) are working.

Don't know why you couldn't bring any of that info up.

kbw5780 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much. The information is so very helpful!!!

Kristin icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%