How Can I Use Pearl Shimmer Dust On Butter Cream? Help

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm by RobzC8kz

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 10

I have a customer that wants buttercream icing & wants it to shimmer like gold. I bought some gold dust, but have only used it in small area. What can I do? The color of the icing is a dark tan.

9 replies
CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 10

You can airbrush it on buttercream cakes. I do all the time.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 10

First I am NO expert, but I did a cake last week and brushed silver dust onto buttercream roses. I made them the day before and then mixed the dust with/rum and brushed it on; it worked beautifully. I would think that if you frost one day and brush it on the next, it would work just fine. JMHO. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 10

Just let it crust well for a bit and then gently brush it on. I do it all the time.

Don't ya just love the dust??? thumbs_up.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 10

I have used luster dust for this but the shimmer dust just didn't give the same look. Just let the icing crisp before you brush on the luster dust mixed with vodka or rum. Good luck, hope it works out for you.... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 10

You can also buy gold edible paint in a can. Just spray it on.

CocoaBlondie Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

Just let it crust well for a bit and then gently brush it on. I do it all the time.

Don't ya just love the dust??? thumbs_up.gif

What kind of brush do you use & which dust luster or shimmer?

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #8 of 10

I recommend you invest in some very good sable brushes. These are the only ones that I use. They are in the regular artist paint isles in your better craft stores like Michaels. I have them in all kinds of sizes and shapes. They are very soft, very flexible, and they never shed. They are also very washable. Be sure not to leave the paints or shimmers in the brushes till they are dry or you won't be able to get it all out.

Also, buy yourself a good booki(spelling) brush. A blusher brush. I found a really great bamboo handled brush at Fred Meyers that has brisels that are much like my sables. It doesn't shed either. I think I paid about $7 or $8 dollars for it. I also got one for myself for my makeup, since that was what it was designed for. I love it. This will serve you well in removing excess powder and cleaning up your cakes. Easy and very effective.

Another really good thing to have for whisking away any excess cornstarch from fondant surfaces is a silicone basting brush. I have them in various sizes. I use them for tons of things. Best invention ever!! I got most of mine from the dollar store. How great is that???

Once you get the major amount of the cornstarch off of the fondant, you can follow it up with the booki brush. Clean as a whistle!!

Hope this helps! Just let me know if you need anymore.....

thumbs_up.gif

Lisa

CocoaBlondie Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks alot for all your help! I love CC members anytime you need help they're there for you!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 10

Americolor makes silver, pearl and gold in airbrush ready bottles now!! All you do is shake it well and put it in your airbrush! No clumping, clogging, or mixing with vodka! I found them and love them!! And you can spray onto fondant, BC, WC....anything!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%