I Need Opinions On Mixers

Decorating By JulesM7 Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm by peg818

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 17

The wonderful parents of my preschoolers last year gave me gift card money to a specific store so I could buy the Kitchenaid 6 qt. pro mixer I've been wanting.

The store did not have it in stock last spring, but offered to order it from their online site for me. They told me the color I wanted would be back in stock in 15-30 days. I waited that amount of time and it never came back in stock. So, they had to cancel that order and request the gift card money to be mailed back to me. That took over a month and a half and by the time I had the card again, all of the colors were out of stock.

I am looking at the Cuisinart 7Qt Stand Mixer now and want to know if anyone has it that can compare it's performance to the Kitchenaid. Please can anyone tell me if it is worth it or should I use the gift card for something else and get the Kitchenaid I really wanted at another store???

~Julie

16 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 17

Get a Viking. 7qt bowl, can easily do 3.5 lbs of HG flour. KAs are junk. I know go ahead, and jump me for it. KAs are living on reputation, not on performance.

Mike

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 17

I have a KA mixer....have had it for 5 years.....and it does ok....but I did get a chance to use the Viking......OMG!!!!!......what a difference. If I had the extra money I would by one in a heart beat..

good luck...a good mixer makes a world of difference in your mixing and your time spent mixing.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 17

I have the Cuisinart 5.5 qt (because they didn't have the 7 qt and I wanted one NOW). I absolutely love. I also have a Wolfgang Puck 5.5 qt and it works just fine, but it has been neglected since I bought the Cuisinart.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the opinions.

The store I have gift card money to doesn't carry the Viking. I really wanted to use that card for a mixer. If the Cuisinart is comparable (or better!), that is what I'll end up with.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 17

I have a KA. Like it because I was burning up those little hand-mixers faster than a kid scarfing his birthday cake!

However, with that in mind...the new ones are not near as sturdy & durable as the older models. I have a friend who has a 30-yr/o KA. Great piece of kitchen equipment and just as much as a work horse as ever! My new one? It growls and whatnot when I have too heavy of RI. icon_confused.gif My friends like, na na boo boo with her work horse.

I'd spring for the exra ca$h and get the Viking. icon_smile.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 17

WOW...... I have to two KAs. A 20 year old past down and a 3 year old and they both work great!! Never a problem and let me tell you...... I mix EVERYTHING in them.

bj

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 17

Ok, I have a KA Artisan, a KA Ultra Power, and a Viking 5qt...I think I wish I'd have bypassed all the others and went straight for the Viking 7qt! My Viking is about 3 years old and awesome, a real work horse, love love love it! The kitchenaids I got about 5 yrs ago when I first got started, they've been great but even though they're pretty, I can tell I'm working them too hard...expecially the Ultra Power is growley and tempermental.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 17

I have a 4.5 qt KA that my husband got me for our first anniversary (which was 7 years ago). It still works but it does struggle sometimes. I bought a 7 qt Cuisinart this past may and I love it. I was thinking about getting another KA just to use the pasta roller attachment for gumpaste but reading that people are having problems with the newer models, I may reconsider. Linens and Things has the Cuisniart on sale now and the 20% coupon. Don't know what store the gift card is for but you can get it pretty cheap. I know the Viking is on sale for 502.00 but it's the same 1000 watts and looks like the Cuisninart although I realize the Cuisniart is part plastic, so far it's held up fine and I can do a large quantity of SugarShack's BC or IndyDebi's BD.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 17

Okay, just checked somewhere else and Cutlery & More has the Viking 7 qt for $449 with free shipping. HTH someone.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I have a friend who has a 30-yr/o KA. Great piece of kitchen equipment and just as much as a work horse as ever!

Quote:
Quote:

KAs are living on reputation, not on performance.

I have a basic KA that's 30 years old, and it works like a charm. But it was Hobart made. None of the KA appliances after Hobart sold the line are the same quality they were. Actually, if you look at the prices, they are not as high as they would have been if they were the same quality as the old ones. If they had kept the quality, a basic model 4.5 quart, would be selling for at least $350 or more. A gallon of gas was about $.56 and a first class stamp was $.10 in the mid 70's. Everything is much more expensive except the KA mixers. It was keep the prices about the same, add lots of colors and reduce production costs. The problem is the quality and durability of the product suffers.

Off topic- found the company that makes the flame decals for KA's. They have a couple of other designs including chili peppers and Victorian roses.
They sell through Ebay. I may gussie up my old girl.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 17

Hobart sold KA in 1986.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:29am
post #13 of 17

I have to sing the praises of KA, i had problems with mine (it was 10 years old) and KA replaced it no questions asked. Would i buy another one, absolutely!!

yellobutterfly Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 17

peg - was that recently? When I called last year because my was acting up (it was only 3years old at that time) they told me I'd have to take it to one of their repair shops and pay for it myself...I'd love to have the contact name/number of your customer service rep, lol!

peg818 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

peg - was that recently? When I called last year because my was acting up (it was only 3years old at that time) they told me I'd have to take it to one of their repair shops and pay for it myself...I'd love to have the contact name/number of your customer service rep, lol!

It was last month, and basically i just called to find someone locally that i could take the thing to, to have it fixed. Told the lady what had happened, and she was like wait a minute please, came back on and was we want your mixer we'll send you a replacement. I'm like once again this thing is at least 10 years old, another wait a minute please, then yes we still want your mixer.

They shipped me a replacement (refurbished i believe, but really don't care) and i just had to put mine back in their box and place their prepaid shipping label on and off it went.

Oh maybe i just got lucky maybe it was because i wasn't demanding replacement, didn't expect it. Just really wanted to get my old girl fixed.

Would i buy another KA after this experience certainly.

yellobutterfly Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

It was last month, and basically i just called to find someone locally that i could take the thing to, to have it fixed. Told the lady what had happened, and she was like wait a minute please, came back on and was we want your mixer we'll send you a replacement. I'm like once again this thing is at least 10 years old, another wait a minute please, then yes we still want your mixer.

They shipped me a replacement (refurbished i believe, but really don't care) and i just had to put mine back in their box and place their prepaid shipping label on and off it went.

Oh maybe i just got lucky maybe it was because i wasn't demanding replacement, didn't expect it. Just really wanted to get my old girl fixed.

Would i buy another KA after this experience certainly.

Maybe I should call again and see if I get anywhere, lol...One of mine is laboring very hard even with a simple buttercream or cookie dough, and will rock from side to side and growl...what happened to yours/what was wrong with it?

Thanks for the info!

peg818 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 17

Well...

Mine shot fire out the side of it!! Perhaps that is what got their attention. Then she worked no more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%